1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mario Kart 8 sells 1.2m in first weekend

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Jun 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I've only spent about 10hrs with it so far, but it is a great game and deserves to sell well. Given the current offer for a free download of another game there's not much reason for any Wii U owner not get it.

I'm not familiar with all previous versions of the franchise, but I think it's accurate to say this one doesn't bring anything revolutionary to the table, but it's definitely polished and looks spanking.

It's such a universally simple yet fun game to play.

3. Zygersaf

Zygersaf What's a Dremel?

Let's be honest here. Being "The fastest selling Wii U game to date." was hardly going to be difficult was it?

Still cool, but yeah...

4. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

It looks like such a fun game! If only it were out on PC/ Wii discs work on PC.. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

5. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Perhaps not, but to put it in some wider context, here's VGChartz top-selling games figures for April 2014:

[​IMG]

That data suggests 1.2million in 3 days is better than what Titanfall could manage in a whole month.

Watchdogs has apparently outsold Mario Kart 8 upon release, but going by the reviews I think a fair few more people are going to be regretting the Watchdog purchase...

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Yeah, but that's because it's the U and there's a damn shortage of decent titles. A much higher percentage of U owners are going to be buying exclusive games like this compared to any given generic FPS that's available on lots of platforms.

You want a great new PC release? Choice of dozens. Want the same for the U?

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Apparently it also boosted WiiU sales in the UK by 666%. Which means Nintendo sold 666 WiiUs! Well done Nintendo.