1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8 tablets will support Flash

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 19 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

I will Be Getting one eventually (hopefully)
    and hope that i can get by without Flash, its horrible.

we just need youtube to catchup and remove the requirement for flash

Guinevere likes this.
  3. rollo

rollo Modder

iPad does YouTube and has no flash

4. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Because youtube has a lot of its videos also in html5 but not all yet

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Except that it is not in flash. I'd like to see a tablet on which you can install whatever OS you want (a linux ?)

Really Apple has nice product ... but I can't bear Apple and it politics (fat melon head ?).

6. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

cant flash just die already.

Guinevere likes this.
  7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Die flash, die!

Guinevere likes this.
  8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

shhhhh ... adobe could hear you :hehe:

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Why would it die? It's less CPU intensive than HTML5, and video playback uses the GPU, unlike HTML5. Plus HTML5 is limited compared to Flash.

10. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

It's not quite correct to state that HTML5 doesn't use the GPU for video playback. Of course the spec itself is somewhat orthogonal to browser implementations, but I believe development of GPU accelerated HTML5 is well underway for all of the major browsers.

11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

But I can't use flash on my iPad :D

12. GoodBytes

Oh I agree, don't get me wrong... but the time it gets there.. it will take many years. While at the same time, obviously, Flash will continue to move forward. The day Flash will day, is when Flash development stop, and HTML5 surpasses it with some margin.

Already it looks like Flash 11 64-bit is coming along, plus 3D support with GPU acceleration, and uses even more the GPU to render graphics, dropping the work load of the CPU, which should help boost battery life. Flash 11 is still in beta, but sounds promising.

Ideally, Flash should be full GPU rendered (as it should have been since day 1), and that would solve a big problem. As all that is Flash is doing is really easy to go for any GPU, but killer for the CPU.

So don't buy products that doesn't fit your needs. :p

13. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

unless html5 steps up more, you won't really see flash "die" anytime soon, on simple stuff, html5 excels at efficiency and especially low power usage compared to flash, but on sites (games even) that have complex stuff to do?, well sorry to burst your bubble but the sad truth is flash is faster , though html5 technologies continue to develop, but for now, its just a no brainer.

14. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

On a usability note, I'm looking forward to the day when my semi-pc-literate friends buy a new win8 machine and get hopelessly confused when confronted with two versions of the same browser that look different and one doesn't support plugins.

Ace.

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

adobe makes some crazy good stuff.. think the flash plugin gets updated so often though there's bugs that pop up

general public + bugs = steve jobs dancing around

16. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Microsoft is making some really bold moves with Win8, from the inclusion of an ARM version to their insistence on using HTML5 instead of relying on Flash for Metro.

Bold moves, but also good moves I think; and ones which may actually benefit the user in the longer-term; not just Microsoft.

Guinevere likes this.
  17. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Well to me, the fact that it's Windows more importantly means that I can use DOSBOX!!!!!! Flash is just icing on the cake... So basically regardless of the performance of the device, I can play fun Flash games and reaaally fun DOS games. (As well as all the other stuff you can do on a tablet). That instantly makes the iPad worthless and obsolete, imo.

18. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

It doesn't have a requirement for flash though. I can browse youtube quite happily on my iPad and iPhone. Never encountered a video it couldn't play.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2011
  19. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

LOL. I know where you're coming from but sheesh, you're the worst defence lawyer ever!

Yes, there are tasks where HTML 5 uses more CPU than Flash. But to side with flash based on it's low CPU usage! No, no and thrice no. It's a CPU hog, that is THE main user end issue with flash.

(The other big issue is web deliverable apps would remove the revenue stream of "app stores")

Edit:

Rep given to all fellow flash haters :)

20. GoodBytes

Good thing I am not doing a degree in that field :D
    Yea you are right using HTML 5 like HTML1, simple basic formatting pages. HTML is faster.
    I am obviously not talking about that. I am talking about video, audio, and animations.

Doing a website in full Flash and such, is plain idiotic. These are people who don't know how to use Flash. Same for Java, and Java-Script. There are proper way, and optimized ways to do things. When it's well programmed, and well used on both, is what I am comparing.

Congrads you broke the rep system.

Tags: Add Tags