1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft's Windows 8 upgrade paths detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 29 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Not for me thanks, Don't need a dumbed down operating system which is designed for tablets running on my desktop or laptop, I've tried the previews and I'm amazed that no one at Microsoft has turned round and asked "what the hell are we doing?!?!". I'll be sticking with 7 thanks, there's nothing wrong with it, I'll just hope they get the message about this metro rubbish and sort their act out for Win 9.

3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I personally think they're cheaping out and making 1 OS for all devices, windows for PC and a new OS for tablets and phones like Apple do (I'm no apple fanboy btw)

4. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

How long before release did MS do those £25 pre orders for windows 7?
    I hope they do it for windows 8, while the start screen is a massive improvement over the start menu, I'm not sure I want to pay full whack for it.

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Lots of noise about "upgrades", much less noise about what we're expected to upgrade to. Considering that there have been no fundamantal changes to the way Windows works for the user in seventeen years, and that the headline metro UI is just clearly just one more of those things you switch off after install, I'd like to know what the attraction is supposed to be.

6. Sylvester20007

Sylvester20007 What's a Dremel?

Oh Dear me... This cant be good.

People, let me give you clue about Windows 8....
    1. It requires logon using a Live ID, this concerns me a little as I wounder what the T's & C's will say about what microsoft can log about your actions. How many times has your hotmail account been hacked and you had people telling you that your sending out spam???
    2. The Start menu based part of windows (like the look we have in Win 7) is nothing more than an a virtual versio of windows 7 desktop. It also cant communicate with metro in terms of things like copy and paste. You copy text from the win 7 looking part but you cant paste it in the metro launched apps.
    3. Win 8 has a lot of logging going on in it. Its the first big step to getting everyone into the cloud where your data is free to be accessed by any court or law agency with a idea that you might be a naughty person (this goes back to the T's & C's).

These are but a few issues with it that I can see. I also am a little concerned about what the guys at microsoft were smoking when they thought that the main interface of there flagship OS should be based on a touch screen design. I will never have a touch screen that is 50" in size, no will I get off my ass tio go up to it and put my grubby figer prints on my screen. I can see microsoft creating a kennetic for the desktop computer and I will not sit there and wave my hands around like some dementied wizzard in a disney film.

I love my logitech Denovo Edge KB, perfect for windows in a living room.

Failure is not an option....... It comes bundled with Windows 8

Syl

7. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Tablet OS on a desktop... because that's a fantastic idea.

8. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

Untill I get some solid info on Media Center and Home Server integration I'nn not be upgrading my 3 HTPCs. With not much said about XBL, GFWL or DirectX thenn I'll not be upgrading my Gaming PC. One of my laptops has a touchscreen so maybe that will get an upgrade. So out of my 7 PCs Microsoft "may" get 1 purchase from me. Well done.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Windows 8 is not for us. It is not even for our machines. It is for the millions of ordinary muggles out there who only use computers for discrete tasks, and for hardware that will be rolling out in the next five years. Microsoft is going to clean up with this one, like Apple did with the iPad which people equally moaned about not being a "real computer" with a "real OS" and a keyboard. Like that stopped millions of people buying them and being perfectly happy with them.

Y'all supposed to be geeks. You're supposed to have vision, darnit! Now quit yer fussin' and start considerung what it is, rather than what it isn't.

10. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Never... your 'teachings' have no weight when you confess to being a clown.

11. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Why is there even a 32-bit version of Windows 8? :|

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

a) It doesn't "require" use of Live ID. You are perfectly fine using only a local account. Or did you totally miss these screens ?
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11427180/w8-1.png
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11427180/w8-2.png
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11427180/w8-3.png
    b) if any email account is hacked, it is most times because user is stupid enough to install that nice "Perfectly harmless UPS delivery failure notification letter.exe".
    c) do you know that the sender email address (the From field) is simply a text, and you can enter anything there ? I can send a email, which will say it was send by you, i only need to know your email address to do that.
    d) show me that part of terms and conditions talks about what you just said. On my quick run through licence terms, there is no such thing.

I seriously doubt you even used Windows 8. I just started the Release Preview, started Notepad, typed a text, copied it in clipboard, started Metro IE and pasted the text in the URL bar without any issues.

ROFL. You install a preview version which exists to test what issues can be encountered durring the installation and use. Sure there is ton of stuff logged, it is called Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program. And by default all this stuff is disabled. It is a opt-in, not opt-out.

And what does Metro has with cloud is beyond my imagination. Or do you think apps on your iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android phone/Android tablet work only with cloud data ?

13. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

After trying Windows 8 preview I will most probably won't ever move away from hackintosh.

14. Gundam God

Gundam God What's a Dremel?

On the fence about win8 so might be sticking with Vista till 9 pops up at this rate. Does 8 add anything worthwhile?

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Because Windows is still by far the most behind in terms of 64 bit support. Mac and Linux are lightyears ahead with 64 bit support.

Anyways, I find it interesting they support an upgrade from XP. MS probably realized that its the only way to get rid of the remainder of XP users who don't want to pay full price for a new OS. The only people left using XP at this point will be those who know so little about computers that they don't even know they're running XP, people who can't upgrade because the hardware is too old, people who hate change, and/or people who just don't care about upgrading. I'm personally a little skeptical of how 8 will run on older hardware.

16. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Wow, such a terrible reaction to Windows 8 from the readers here. I honestly can't believe the reaction to the start menu being replaced with Metro. I'm not too fussed about Windows 8, it was relatively easy to use, some things were in different places but I soon got the hang of it and would consider upgrading if I found out what is different OS wise other than Metro. The only reason I'm not still using the preview is because Comodo and some other programs didn't work with it so I went back to Windows 7 until compatibility issues are sorted.

Shirty likes this.
  17. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

In what regard? Xp 64-bit was barely supported by third-party vendors in terms of drivers, and Vista in general (32 & 64) suffered the same way initially but eventually caught up; while Users of Windows 7 64-bit suffer zero downsides in comparison to 32-bit.

In this day and age there is absolutely no reason for a modern OS to be released in 32-bit, so why are Microsoft even bothering?
    All it does is contribute to consumer confusion and complicate the purchasing decision for the average person as well as increasing the number of SKUs vendors have to deal with.

Surely it's not as though the Pentium 4 market could really be worth pandering to in terms of the support costs of having two different versions of the OS (and all drivers) supported.
    The kind of customer still using a 32-bit machine (whether personal or business) in 2012/2013 is unlikely to upgrade to Windows 8 in the first place.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

What makes windows bad with 64 bit is how it still runs 32 bit versions of the same 64 bit processes (eating up a lot of memory), and even today there is still some compatibility issues. Mac and linux today don't need to double-up processes and nearly all 32 bit linux drivers are re-compiled for 64 bit. XP 64 bit was a nightmare, Vista's 64 bit was bad but usable, and 7 is overall pretty decent. I do understand that Mac and Linux from the beginning had the upper hand to just simply convert an architecture. I don't necessarily blame MS for Windows being behind in 64 bit. While I hate the company, it isn't really their fault and there wasn't a whole lot they could do about it. If anything, the blame goes to Intel and lazy software devs who didn't release 64 bit versions of products much sooner.

I completely agree, but the problem is all those people holding onto their P4s and old Celerons, and those who refuse to switch to 64 bit when they have the opportunity.

I agree with that too, and I personally feel those people should be left behind. Unfortunately, companies can't just ignore them because there is likely more of those people than Mac users.

As I've stated before, Win 8 probably has the XP upgrade because it's the only way for MS to get rid of XP users. Since probably 99% of all XP users are 32 bit, Win8 is going to be stuck with a 32 bit release. It wouldn't surprise me if Win8 will be the last x86 based OS they release with a 32 bit version.

Zurechial likes this.
  19. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

If you are upgrading from XP in 2012 the install screen should mock you as a moron for an hour.

Zurechial likes this.
  20. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Erm... all three of those points are completely wrong. The live ID is optional, the metro and desktop environments do interact as you'd expect them to and there is no difference between this and any other operating system when it comes to your rights over data stored in the cloud.

Tags: Add Tags