1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Duplex

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ace_finland, 23 Oct 2013.

1. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Hi,

So this is my new Project for the Cooler Master mod competiton. I still have a bit to design but will start fabricating soon.

It's called Project Duplex and will be a two faced case.
    -On one side the motherboard, on the otherside a GPU and ssd's.
    -Two seperate loops with a 240radiator each.
    - WIll be made out of aluminum and acrylic
    - Most of the watercooling will be hidden

Fabricating will start soon!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ace

Last edited: 25 Feb 2014
  2. modmaster

modmaster What's a Dremel?

I will be subscribing to this one. Designs look great!

3. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Thx! Hopefully i can get some frame parts this week!

4. TheL4mka

TheL4mka Minimodder

Nice design! :)

5. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

subbed... Is it just me or is the mainboard mounted the wrong way round ? Looks like the mem is on the "backside" so the Rear IO shield of the mainboard faces the side with the rog logo...
    Will be interresting how you solve the problem with flexible pcie riser/extenders and their routing

6. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Thx!

Yes and no, u are right but i want it that way, i will make a cover for the io shield so i can plug things in there and route them through the case to the back panel. I have a mental picture what its gonna look like, hopefully it will look as good finished as right now in my mind :)

7. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Finally an update! Was a lot harder to get the profile than i thought. Living in the country side has its drawbacks :)

First i would like to say a big Thanks to OCZ and Mr J. for believing in me and sponsoring me with a 256GB Vector drive. Will take some nice pictures of it as soon as i get it back. Took it to a place to make it fit the build a bit better. More on that in another update :)
    [​IMG]

The profile, Ordered 2mm thick profile but when i got it it was only 1,5mm. Oh well, would have been nice with 2mm for threading but 1,5mm will be enough.... i hope.
    [​IMG]

after cutting all the profiles with a hand saw and I milled them to the right angle and size.
    [​IMG]

De burring all the edges
    [​IMG]

All profiles except one
    [​IMG]

Welding it all together. Was too optimistic with the welding. I did not think it would warp as much as it did. All in all it was only a mm or 2 off but due to so many angles and lengths it looked so crooked I did not wanna use it.
    [​IMG]

Plan B: Cut off all the legs, straighten out one leg that was a bit warped. The rest were fine. Then mill all of the legs at once to make sure they are all the same length and straight[​IMG]

Decided instead of welding i would make inserts to bolt into the profile and into the base and top. This way it's easier to keep straight and also a lot easier when its time to paint. Should have thought about this before
    [​IMG]

Tapping the inserts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All done. Still need to clean up to get it looking really nice but will leave that until its time to paint
    [​IMG]

The base
    [​IMG]
    Made a 2mm sheet and pressed it inside the profile, welded it and after milled it straight. If i can get another profile i might make a 45 degree cut instead. Would look a lot nicer.
    [​IMG]

Time for some sheet metal work. Sticking with 2mm aluminum. Don't know what this is called but it is very useful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The panel is divided into 3 pieces for now while i work with the pieces. I might weld them together at a later stage. Still need to drill a lot of holes and cut some openings in them.
    [​IMG]

Drilled and getting ready to tap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had to try a mobo on it. Case looks huge and it is a bit big but u think it will shrink a bit once i start adding things to it
    [​IMG]

Sponsored by
    [​IMG]

8. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Cool design and you're off to a good start. I like the windtunnel idea in the midsection and the gpu location. This is going to be cool :)

9. leonetu

leonetu What's a Dremel?

Subbed!

10. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Thx buddy!

Thx!

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Moi Ace.

Totally awesome start there, and allthough the case might be a big, most people have a case just as big under their desk, so who cares :p

Missäs päin asut? Kun näen minkälaista koneitta sinulla on käyttävissä mä voin kysyä, että voit ehkä tehdä jotain minulle :)

12. Derick

Derick Senpai Studios

Subbed.

13. spyplane

spyplane What's a Dremel?

Wow, hype! Can't wait to see more! sub-

14. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Thx buddy! My gf does not like it, she freaked out a little bit when she saw the frame :D My builds tend to get bigger and bigger

Asun vöyrissä, ei o mun työkaluja mutta tunnen pajan omistaja ja saan käyttää heidän työkaluja :)
    Thx for subbing!
    Thx buddy!

15. CM Tim

CM Tim CM Rep

Good to see some decent competition, keep up the good work! we'll follow this thread :)

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Thanks god I don't have to care about a GF living with me :p My "office" is crowded with PCs and random hardware. There's currently 9 assembled rigs lying around and another 5 in parts, plus all the extra-stuff like spare-fans, PSUs, etc. And that's not even counting the stuff in the basement :worried:

Anyways... mä asun Ikaalisissa, mutta meidän työpaja johonkin minulla on mahdollisuuksia käydä teke vain puutöytä. Mun pitäis ehkä otta yhteyttä ammatti-kouluun täällä Ikaalisissa kun siellä on peltoseppän osasto :)

17. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

Thx Tim! Hopefully i will have another update soon :)

Yeah, there's good and bad things with a gf :D

Ehkä se on helpoin, yleensä ammatti-koulun hinnat ovat melko halpa

18. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I can't see the initial renders but the pictures look promissing nonetheless :)

19. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

That looks really good man! Like the initial design, and the fabrication pictures are fantastic:D I know how hard it sometimes is to remember to take those -_-

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Glorious framework.:D I don't understand any of the Elven written in this thread, but I'm sure it's praise.

Lose the ROG logo and she's perfect.