1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Watercooling a GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lassar, 10 Dec 2013.

1. Lassar

Lassar Lean Mean Fighting Machine !

Hello everyone.

Was looking for some advice.

Currently have a 240mm and 120mm Rad cooling my CPU and with Xmas around the corner I was going to get a R9 290 (Not the X) and add it into my loop.

I was wondering that considering most companies invalidate the warranty when you remove the stock HSF does anyone out there run the card for a while before slapping the waterblock on ? Just to check all is ok? Furmark or something?

Was going to get an EK water block too. But there seem to a few options for the 290 Block? Copper, Nickle and Copper. Actal and copper? Are the differences cosmetic only?

Cheers as always.

Ric

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'd always check the card works OK before fitting a block and run as many stress tests as possible (excluding Furmark). A couple of years ago I had 2 defective cards on the trot.

Differences between plain copper and nickel plated are mainly cosmetic, however nickel plating will stop oxidation of the copper. Although the plain copper blocks are lacquered it soon wears off with handling, particularly on GPU blocks.

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

use corrosion inhibitor stuff... if mixed metals this is more important? (This is random misfiring in my brain telling me to be so)

4. alienwaregtx

alienwaregtx What's a Dremel?

I just put the waterblock straight on and added it into the loop. works fine at 27 degrees on full load. 15 on idle. It is the EK GTX 690 Acetal and nickel block as im using nickel compression fittings. go for it

5. Lassar

Lassar Lean Mean Fighting Machine !

Thanks everyone.