1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Installing windows (how hard can it be?)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bagman, 14 Oct 2014.

1. bagman

bagman Minimodder

So I have a sony vaio s13p laptop which I want to install a SSD (to replace the HDD) and obviously want to put windows 7 on it(, it is originally a windows 8 laptop).

So I put in SSD and try to boot from my USB windows install... doesn't work "invalid OS" or "OS not found" (something like that).

Try the same thing with my DVD windows install.... same error

I reinstall my old HDD login to my windows 8 and start the DVD from there. Get to install screen try to select my SSD (which is connected via USB) but windows can not install windows via USB.

Guys please help I am going mad!

2. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Leave Windows 8 on it.

3. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

But seriously, you probably have secure boot enabled in the BIOS. This is a feature of UEFI on Windows 8 machines and will need disabling before you'll be able to put the SSD in and try and boot off a USB stick.

Probably.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

As Marvin said, you probably have Secure boot enabled.I have encountered some UEFI's on manufactured system, where you can't disable Secure boot, because the manufacture doesn't want you to change the OS. Not even upgrade. The work around is to set UEFI to Legacy mode (BIOS).

Now I want to say that Sony may no longer cover your warranty because of changing the OS (nothing new with some manufacture), but Sony no longer makes laptops.. so that is probably gone in any case, or soon to be.

I would liek to also add, that I would suggest to keep Windows 8. Windows 8 is leaner, faster in every way, more optimized, and more solid OS than Windows 7.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I would also keep 8. Upgrade it to 8.1 (done through Windows Update) and it'll be pretty close to 7 with the Start button and such. Make sure you make a note of your key before you format anything or you will not be able to recover it.

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Also, as it's a Sony, check that "External Device boot", or something along those lines, is enabled in the BIOS.

7. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Yeah Marvin was right got that fixed. But now I can't install windows onto the SSD as it a GPT partition. So I have to work out how to change that.

Also the reason I am changing from windows 8.1 is because I don't like the new UI, I have tried to like but it is just frustrating, and I use it like its windows 7 anyway.

I have also never had a windows slow down on me so fast as windows 8 has done for me.

And I don't think windows 8 starts fast at all. The login screen is just longer than windows 7s.

Looking at windows 10 setup I am very much looking forward to that. A hybrid of windows 7 and 8 looks great so far. But windows 8 is clearly designed for tablets and touch screens and my laptop isn't that.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think your system is busted then or poorly done by Sony.
    With Windows 8, from the power button "click" sound, to your desktop fully loaded and ready to use (assuming you pause the timer for entering your password, or go auto-login), is 6secs.

You don't have anywhere close to these times with Windows 7.
    Also, Windows 8 slow down? That is the first I hear. Windows 10 is based on Windows 8... so expect the issue to remain. But I think it is something else. I program a lot on my systems, I code on it at work as well, and I have never experience slow downs.

It took me about a month to get used to Windows 8 interface.
    Basically, the moment I discovered that I can customize the darn thing because the default layout is junk, this is when I started to like it.

For example, here is my start screen (old picture):
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I put folders that I use and access often at the bottom left, for quick access. On my desktop (as the picture is from my laptop), I have my project folders as well, for quick access to that. Something I just don't have with Windows 7 start menu (but do with Windows 10), and I have my icons from most used to least used on that system, going from left to right. And I organized with groups, which I name them.

on my desktop, I have quick access to my games. I have a games group, and all my games are there. Whether be on Steam, UPlay, or Origin, from a click my game will lunch.; I no longer have to find out form which service my game is, especially if it's been a long time I played, to starting every single service, and look for the game to start it.

But, if you really can't get used to, despite the advice, you can find Start Menu replacement.

9. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Don't ditch windows 8, it's technically faster than 7 in almost all ways; the start menu is the only thing letting it down. I've used 'Classic Start' since about a year ago and not looked back. With an SSD I get a 5-6 second boot up. Faster for games too.

I recommend the start replacement and you don't have to deal with the metro/modern UI. I'm not like goodbytes, I couldn't get used to it, but decided to still use windows 8.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Why do people keep saying this ? Windows 8 is not faster than 7 in almost all ways, most benchmarks have show the two OS's to be very similar in terms of performance.

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I appreciate that I am running the risk of further derailing this thread (sorry OP), but Win8 is much better at multi-core management, so in some situations it is faster. The boot time is considerably faster than Windows 7, and it is more resource efficient, in my experience.

I would urge the OP to maintain W8 (8.1 actually) and install a start menu. It's a better choice, to my mind.

12. bagman

bagman Minimodder

If any one is interested in how to fix the GPT partition problem.

start
    run
    cmd
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk "x"
    Clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    format fs=ntfs
    exit

This thread can now be derailed completely.

I understand windows 8 runs better in general but I don't care because the UI is horrible to work with. Windows 7 runs more than good enough, and when it come down to it actually runs how I want it to do. Also my bluetooth works now....