1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia boasts of record profit margins

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 May 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

They're a good business, making good products - I'd be surprised to hear anything else. That the share price hasn't risen much means **** all tbh, this is a company which is fairly valued on the market right now.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Not a big surprise to see tegra 3 suffering its old now in truth.

How much business Tegra 4 has picked up is much more intresting or the complete lack of. If nvidia had said samsungs sg4 was going tegra 4 when it launched the shares would be up huge.

Instead nvidia has got no confirmed products for tegra 4 accept what it is making in project shield. The fact qualcomm already picked up the biggest player in the andriod market place for a high end smartphone means nvidia will struggle to get its tegra 4 chips into another Smartphone that has the volume required to make it worthwhile.

The andriod tablet market place is still alot of low end tablets that would be ill suited to a high end chip like tegra4 due to cost. The nexus refresh maybe nvidias best shot at getting into a tablet that sells at a high enough price to warrant the inclusion of this high end chip.

4. Fused

Fused Minimodder

Financial Year 2014?

5. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Yeah, financial years don't necessarily line up with calendar years. Seems a little ahead of the curve that it would appear the 4th month of the calendar year is the ending of the 1st quarter of the fiscal year that's ahead of the calendar year already (meaning the bulk of their FY 2014 will be in CY 2013), but corporations are strange like that sometimes.

6. metalgearhathaway

metalgearhathaway What's a Dremel?

The only reason other elements of the PC market are stalling is because people like me brought i5/i7 based systems that even after 3-4 years are still performing on the cutting edge as long as they are matched with a good graphics card.

MY i7 920 do is clocked at 3.8ghz, it ran lovely in the beginning with my GTX460 and now it kicks as still with a GTX670, it almost makes me wonder whether my core system will get away with one final gfx card update before bites the dust, if it doesn't then I will still have had 6 years high end gaming use and that beats all my previous built systems by 4 years!

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What 'e said. This is one of the things you have to be careful of when you're comparing two companies' past performance: Nvidia's Q1FY12 is almost certainly covering a different calendar period to AMD's Q1FY12, while Intel's Q1FY12 is another period again. Why yes, it is annoying. See also: magazine cover dates, where you end up with the March issue popping up on shop shelves at the end of December...

8. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Honestly, I wanted a Tegra 3 phone on Verizon. I was waiting on the Droid Bionic when it was first announced to have the chipset. It never happened. I ended up with a Droid X2. So Nvidia, its your fault you failed to deliver a decent LTE model at the time.