1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Custom cables orientation

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Maarten/Pine, 9 Apr 2017.

1. Maarten/Pine

Maarten/Pine Case modder

Hi guys,

I'm working on a project where I will make a set of custom cables (no extensions). The cables I will be using won't have a sleeve, they just have a copper core with transparent insulation.
    Copper wire area is 1.5mm^2, which is just a little thicker than 16AWG. Already tried to crimp it, works fine.

This weekend I made a full pinout of the RM850i (the PSU that's used) for all the cables with a multimeter.
    Now that I want to start with making the cables, I have some questions.

The 24-pin has quite alot of twin cables. If the mobo-side has a single 12V, does it matter where you attach the double wires on the PSU side? of course they should be 12V, but does it matter which port, they're all on the same 12V rail right?

Furthermore, on the 8pin pcie at the psu side, there is a wire that's not used. How can I best make a dummy wire?

On the 8pin pcie at the gpu side, there is also an extra ground cable. Ground cables can also be splitted, right?

Thanks alot in advance!!

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It won't matter which 12v pin out of the PSU is used from what I can gather. :)

Grounding cables can be split, yes. Just don't split them into 50 wires. :D

3. Maarten/Pine

Maarten/Pine Case modder

Thanks for the reply and answers mate!
    Any idea on how to best make a dummy wire when not working with cable sleeve?

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Splice the 'dummy' wire onto the outside of another using either heatshrink or maybe try superglue although I'm not convinced that would hold.

Post #9 is how I do it albeit with sleeved wires.

5. Maarten/Pine

Maarten/Pine Case modder

Thanks very much to both of you! Definitely helped me.