1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Server/NAS Case options

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meandmymouth, 8 May 2017.

1. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I've managed to get together most of the parts for a couple of storage servers but not sure which cases to go for.

The main one will consist of the following:
    Asrock E3C224D2I
    i3 4130
    16GB ECC ram
    5x4TB WD Reds (2 disk redundancy ideally - RAID 6/Z2)

I've been looking at the Lian Li PC-Q25 as it's small and has hot swap bays. I've also looked at a couple of 2U and 3U short-depth rack cases.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any cases that they've used?

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I was going to suggest the In-Win IW-MS04, which I think is brilliant - but then I realised I bought it from you! :lol:

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I did like that case...

I have been looking at the as well and was thinking about it for my other storage server, which will have 8x2TB drives.

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Since space is not a concern for me I avoided the NAS cases and went with a full ATX case, Fractal Design Define R5. I just had to pick up a couple long SATA cables. With the full ATX case I have the 3.5" bay space I need (using 6 of 7), space for large and thus slower and quite fans (dual 140 mm pushing across the drives), and lots of space for working within the case, sometimes looking at the case I feel like I should add something it looks so empty.

Do you really expect to be using hot swap drive bays? The down time to replace a drive on a personal server is usually acceptable without hot-swappable bays.

Edit:
    Forgot to mention, that I was thinking about modding the case to have two set of 5x 3.5" bay cages, except the spare parts centre has been sold out each time I have looked.

Last edited: 9 May 2017
  6. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I used to use one of those 5 x 3.5" to 3 5.25 bay thingies worked fine. Was all stuck in a generic 4 u rack mount case I picked up from saspro.

Couple of options on this page for you.

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Home_Server_Cases_NAS_Cases.html

Also I know you appear to have the board already but maybe one of those lenovo workstations ts140. Usually pretty cheap, I think you get the internal 4 bays plus you can use converters etc.

7. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I have been keeping my eye out for the cashback deals on those. There was one recently on the new version but gone within a day.

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If space isn't a problem I would second the Fractal Define full size case option, standard components, sound deadening and cheap to buy. My homebrew backup NAS (OMV) is running in one with lots of room for more drives etc.

9. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm currently using a Fractal Arc mini as my main case and had considered switching to something else and using the Arc for the storage server. 6 bays plus could fit in a 3bay hot swap unit.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I used to use one of these, it was very nice. Things did heat up a bit in summer and the PSU was noisy but overall good quality. Now moved onto a Fractal R4 because of space, cooling, sound deadening and full size PSU needs.

11. David

I believe the one I have was yours originally, Bindi.

12. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

It is amazing how many cases are ruined by a poor PSU.
    Figured I'd throw this out there, my NAS in the define R5, has a passively cooled CPU, and fanless Seasonic PSU. I have three case fans, two 140 in front and one 120 on the back. The case is nice a quiet and the temperatures are happy (being in a basement might have more to do with that).

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well there we go :D:D Hope it's still working well! :thumb:

14. David

Yep tucked away on a shelf under the desk (an option missing from your recent poll ;)), running a Kabini setup - I can barely hear it.

15. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Pretty much decided on the Lian Li PC-Q25, except getting it delivered is proving to be a pain. The only places that sell this case (overclockers, CCL and a couple others) all charge an outrageous amount for Saturday delivery.

I'm half tempted to go a Bitfenix Prodigy from Amazon instead and save myself a few quid and hassle. No hot swap bays but will happily fit 5 drives and isn't too big.

EDIT
    Or I may just save myself all the hassle of finding a case and setting up the OS myself and just buy a 4/5 bay NAS. It would be the expensive option but the easiest.

16. David

The PC-Q25 is typically Lian Li - gorgeous and functional. However, it incorporates one thing I absolutely detest - the PSU over the CPU area. I understand the practicality of it, I just hate it - a signature of some the very worst cheap and nasty beige boxes from way back.

Hey, who said hate was rational?

17. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I think there is a 5 bay synology up for sale on avforums.

Flog ur components and you shouldn't be having to put that much in.

18. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

19. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I havent used Qnap's in a very long time so cant comment on recent stuff, but I have used DSM more recently and I do like the software.

Here is the link to the synology I mentioned earlier for sale. Just for the sake of clarity I am not the seller. This is 5 bay vs the 4 bay qnap.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/synology-1515-£370.2090129/
    https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/download/DS1515+

What is you intended use? Are you just setting up a few network shares? Will you be hosting media? if so will you want to transcode that media?

Personally for my home network I have a bunch of SMB shares. Kodi boxes around the house can access them fine, never tried more than one at a time.

Music I just have a mapped drive on my main PC.

I use the built in MariaDB to act a shared media library.

I used to run other native apps back in the day, but discovered docker when synology changed a bunch of stuff and community apps stopped working.

Why am I asking? I think the CPU on the synology I linked is higher than the qnap.

20. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Intended use... becoming a good question. I did have a plan but now I'm rethinking my entire set up.

It was going to be where I store back ups for just about everything - all my files, media, family back ups and also a back up for services like plex.

However, I was going to put a 6TB drive into my lounge PC, which runs plex, but it has non-standard screw hold placement on the underside, so I may have to get imaginative with mounting that.