1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google takes on annoying mobile app ads

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Sep 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Gotta do something about all them darn mobile apps that are bypassing our advertising network. ;)

Off topic: Google's recent redesign is annoying. :(

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Not that I'm complaining, because sometimes those ads really are annoying, but to some degree this seems a bit unnecessary for them to discourage them.

There are plenty of websites that have an app and REALLY don't need one; they have the app simply for the sake of being "hip". But, every once in a while, there are apps that actually have functional purposes for phones (in other words, they're more than just a limited web-browser). Not everyone would know about these apps if there are no ads for them. Tapatalk seems to come to mind, though I personally almost never use that.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2015
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'mma stop you there, and ask you to re-read the article. Google isn't blocking anything here, and nor are they even asking sites to stop advertising their apps.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Ah whoops yeah, I didn't finish my coffee when I wrote that. It's funny, because I knew blocking wasn't involved (didn't even have to re-read the article) but my mind drifted to that word anyway. I should try waking up more...

6. Gareth Halfacree

I know the feeling! :D