1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony announces PlayStation Vita TV microconsole

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Sep 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Interesting.
    A nice little device for a spot of retro gaming at what appears to be a great price, I'm not a console prson but I'd definitely go for one of these even if it's just to play wipeout on.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Essentially a media-extender for the PS4, with integrated controller passthrough. I can see this being actually pretty useful if you have TVs or displays in multiple rooms too far to run a HDMI cable between, and out of range of the console wireless. Certainly cheaper than buying a second PS4.

4. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I am very interested in this. It would be perfect for my bedroom tv. I presume the vita games on ps plus would all work on it?

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

According to Eurogamer it would appear to have a "compatability list" of games which it supports (all in Japanese though). The main problem is the touch controls which would require patching to be supported by the controller. Not impossible but would need to be done. IIRC the PSN has the majority of Vita games released.

I do like the sound of this device though, especially if they can patch it to support ALL Vita games (It also has a slot for physical Vita games). Would make a perfect companion to a PS4 sat in another room.

6. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

Make that ALL the Vita games released. All Vita games are available on PSN, but only some of them are available at retail.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Assuming things are patched to support it, I could be up for one of these, though they need to get a few more TV apps on Vita like netflix etc.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I wasn't aware there were any single-system multiplayer games on PSP or Vita, though obviously the video proves that wrong. In some ways I think they'd be better off just keeping it a single player device, ditch the block thing, and stick it in the controller instead (using something like widi for video transmission).

Considering they used a separate system from the controller, I think they could have also fit the PSP optical drive in there but o well.

9. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

If it can stream media content off your home network and netflix, and not simply from the PSN, then maybe count me in. I'd love a media player that can also bundle something like some "retro gaming" (OMG, that makes me feel REALLY old to consider PS1 gaming retro).

My current media streamers are a little long in the tooth. I wouldn't mind paying to grab a few older PS1 games to play on it, plus access to netflix and my home media library for around $150, I'd be in heaven. Get me some CSoTN, FF7, GT2 and maybe some MGS and I'd be a happy boy.

10. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Awesome i may get to play g*police once more. Love that game

11. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I have the original Vita and to me it's a bit like the WiiU, very little marketing and an identity crisis because of it - I fired it up for the first time in about 5 months and found a huge update for download, but can't even see what it was for....apart from stability improvements???

Still it passed a few minutes as I played Marvel Heroes while I was at the doctors, can't beat a bit of arcade magic.

Could it be that my handheld Vita will be able to perform a similar function as this?

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I want to see this bundled in with the PS4.

The PS Eye/Kinect NSA Edition don't really appeal to me, an TV extender that can also play Vita/PSN games independently practically sells itself.

What are the chances of using it for local multi player across two screens?

13. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

LoL... PS1 gaming is definitely NOT 'retro'...

;)

14. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

That is a damn good price if it makes it to ripoff Britain at a smidgen over 60 quid.
    I have a 42" TV on my living room wall I hardly ever use, so I might be up for some vita tv to actually make a use for it. I wont be getting a PS4, I have a PC to play real games, the vita TV can be for friends and family fun games.

15. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

i suspect an android will have better graphics, cheaper games and stream from a pc by early next year.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Problem is there aren't many games on android or iOS for that matter that can match a dedicated games machine either in depth or control, this will be better for a long time to come, the tablets/smartphones have had more grunt than the Vita pretty much since launch and you can't really find many comparable big game experiences to the quality of what is on PS.

Streaming from PC might be cool, I might use it once or twice but I'm gaming on PC to experience the HQ graphics and performance, do I really want to compress it down to vita level experience when I have a £700 graphics system, not really.

This'll probably be £100.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2013
  17. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

The purpose of streaming from another more powerful system is that the work is done elsewhere, ie by a PS4. You can get the same level of performance from a little box because it doesn't do any, or very little, of the processing. This is how cloud gaming will theoretically work as well.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I understand this and I have been a supporter of cloud services having used gaikai, onlive and remote play etc. I even like the Wii U implementation, but none of these match the source machines best possible delivery, these remote systems have always been delivered around a set of compromises, reduced resolution, compression artefacts, latency etc, my PC gaming experience is about no compromises, I compromise on a console as the hardware can't keep up.

Do I want 650w of PC churning away to play on a 5 inch screen in my front room when there is a dedicated big screen attached to it, not really.

Where for me this Vita thing comes in handy is you can play the vita games on a big screen when at home on native hardware, which should be fine, always managed with PSP through component, sure when PS4 drops I can use it to stream that when there are TV contention issues instead of buying two consoles but that wouldn't be a primary want for it especially as like PC streaming it's not going to be the best experience, its unlikely to be doing 1080p/60 for example when streaming.

19. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I would expect any limitation would be the wireless connection rather than the receiver (vita). There is no reason why there should be a limitation on streaming a 1080p signal with an underlying control I/O. Theoretically, for streaming PS4 the controller could interract directly with the PS4, even in another room, rather than through the vita but it probably won't work like that.