1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Mini S

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Oz Modz, 8 Jan 2016.

1. Oz Modz

Oz Modz What's a Dremel?

For those of you who don't know I am a huge In Win fan, I love the design and quality hence why for my main setup i have a In Win S frame absolutely decked out in a ROG theme.

I have some spare parts and thought wouldn't it be cool if there was a Mini ITX S Frame and that's my inspiration for this build stemming from the love of the case!

After a lot of calculations I worked out my percentage size reduction from the main case being 35%. I wanted to get it slightly smaller but I was limited vertically because of the GPU.

The next step was to make my stencil, this part was relatively simple all I had to do was print off the Flat S Frame at the reduced scale. After a few attempts I got the measurements spot on with my scale. I then put all the pieces onto cardboard and after a bit of taping and cutting my stencil was made!

[​IMG]

I decided to use perspex for this build and proceeded to trace using my stencil and then cut using a jigsaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step will be to tidy up the jigsaw work and check all measurements and angles and then the hardest part being the bending!

To see my other builds and videos check out www.ozmodz.com and dont forget to come check out my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Oz-Modz-784354365026358/

Until next time Happy Modding!

2. C.B.B

C.B.B What's a Dremel?

This will be interesting.
    subed

3. Oz Modz

Oz Modz What's a Dremel?

Today I spent 2 hours on bending of the perspex sheet! It was exhausting but well worth it. I have taken a time lapse of the whole hand bending process which ill have up on YouTube in the next few days.

Next Ill be tidying up the last few edges and angles

[​IMG]

To see my other builds and videos check out www.ozmodz.com and dont forget to come check out my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Oz-Modz-784354365026358/

Until next time Happy Modding!

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

NEAT! I'm betting the folds around the mobo tray were the least fun.

5. Oz Modz

Oz Modz What's a Dremel?

Yeah they were quite hard to do ill update this post with the time lapse details and majority of the time was spent on them because of the way the case is made i had to bend the top and bottom at the same time.

6. Oz Modz

Oz Modz What's a Dremel?

I really wanted to show the processes I went through with the bending, I'm not using any fancy tools other then a heat gun and clamps and the trusty 2 x 4! To see the time lapse check out the link bellow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsq_FiRrHx0

Last edited: 11 Jan 2016
  7. shokka9

shokka9 What's a Dremel?

That's awesome!

Thanks for showing us how it's done. I'm watching this build with anticipation.

8. Oz Modz

Oz Modz What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 11 Jan 2016
  9. Oz Modz

Oz Modz What's a Dremel?

After all the bending was done I tidied up a few edges and angles and have now primed ready to be painted today,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

that's looking really nice

i would not have had the patience to pull that off, excelent result!

11. Philspcmods

Philspcmods What's a Dremel?

fantastic progress so far, keep up the great work

12. Oz Modz

Oz Modz What's a Dremel?

The Mini S is now Black, next up will be the radiator mount in a nice Cherry Red.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Oz Modz

Oz Modz What's a Dremel?

Yesterday I made the radiator mount out of perspex with a aluminium backing for support. I also started the vinyl work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Over the next few days ill be finishing the IO and making a mounting bracket for the PSU as well as the pump.

14. Oz Modz

Oz Modz What's a Dremel?

It's been a while since my last post and I have some exciting news! I'm now sponsored by Asus and they have kindly sent me out a Asus Z170i - Pro Gaming Motherboard build for this build.

Here are a few pics of the Z170i Pro Gaming Motherboard

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Over the next few days ill be installing the board and GPU and positioning fixtures for the tubing.

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Coming along nicely.:D You might want to re-size your pictures. It's taking forever to load here, and a pic-heavy page will likely crash some tablet users.

16. Oz Modz

Oz Modz What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate :) Ill look into that and reduce them.

17. Oz Modz

Oz Modz What's a Dremel?

I have now installed the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming Motherboard and the Asus Strix GTX 970 as well as the bitspower fittings and pump.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm really happy with the progress and next ill be bending the tubing and installing the IO.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2016
  18. Oz Modz

Oz Modz What's a Dremel?

This project has been on pause for a little bit while I finished a themed build. But now I'm very happy to announce that the Mini S Frame is finished! I'm very happy with how it has turned out It features a Asus Z170I Pro Gaming ITX Motherboard. My Inspiration for this scratch build comes from my love for the In WIn S Frame and i tried to match my personal rig as closely as possible!

To see how I made the frame check out my build summary video: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=4Z_e8Y7_YHc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]'
    [​IMG]

Make sure you head over to my Facebook page to see what other builds I'm working on: https://www.facebook.com/Oz-Modz-784354365026358/?ref=hl

Last edited: 22 Feb 2016
  19. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Pretty neat video :)

Has In Win reacted to your mod yet?

20. roundyz

roundyz What's a Dremel?

Was the io with power button custom made? or ripped from another case?

Tags: