1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress (project log) Arachnid - 02 november

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dreamevil, 2 Nov 2012.

1. dreamevil

dreamevil What's a Dremel?

hello and welcome to my first ever mod/build

well where to begin i was bored one night and decided to see what i could do to help with the boredom and somehow i came up with building a computer case after several ideas came through my head i saw this on the internet http://pcper.com/images/reviews/992/icon1.jpg which inspired me to create this monster.

its probably not the most sensible design to start modding with and i know i cant build this case exactly how i have it planned in my mind (very little money) so this is going to be a working model of the planned case i.e instead of black acrylic ille be using plywood and paint :(

so after several hours on sketchup i have finally come up with a design i like the look of (keeping that a secret)

i started the build Wednesday night (31st October) laying out the components robed from an old computer onto the hitec chassi

[​IMG]

on thursday i started by cutting out "armour" for the case

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is what i got done today

[​IMG]

that's the computer running on the screen in the background unfortunately im locked out

[​IMG]

next up im going to start work on the main shell covering the motherboard and seeing if i can rob any leds from somewhere :)

2. dreamevil

main body

last night i decided to base the main body around three case fans i had lying around and again i used more of that lovely plywood to build up the cases main carapace

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D im really happy with the way this is turning out but tbh it friggin huge

Last edited: 4 Nov 2012
  3. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

This is a great start, some of the best case mods on this site are made using wood. It also makes a great template to start from if you do decide to use acrylic in the future. Interested in seeing more progress on this build.

Mod on :dremel:

4. dreamevil

sorry about taking so long to give an update i haven't worked on this as much as i would like too and unfortunately i dropped the build a few weeks ago while tidying (proof no good comes from tidying up) and i broke the top of the shell :( so I've decided to rebuild it out of steel :)

so i popped round to a friends shop to pick at his scrap machines and decided to "borrow" this.

[​IMG]

so this is what I used to build the new chassis for some reason i was sure I'd taken pictures of marking and cutting them out but someone stole them

fortunately i didn't get too far into bending the metal before i remembered to take a photo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

drilled some holes and made sure the cd drive fits

[​IMG]

cut out and finished bending the rest of the steel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was far too flexible so using a piece of off cut i made a nice support marked drilled and riveted it to the frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now i need to create another support for the other side

5. dreamevil

woop woop, I've found myself a dremel 395. I will start testing it out tomorrow but it seams to cut through this stuff fairly easily

6. Ra6

Ra6 What's a Dremel?