1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Mounting XSPC raystorm block in RIVE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jashaf, 22 Jun 2012.

1. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

I just wanted to make a note here about Asus IV Rampage Extreme together with the XSPC raystorm water block.

The instructions on the XSPC site haven't been updated at all which is a bit sad (I can understand printed documentation not being updated, but a pdf manual on their site?) In any case the asus RIVE comes with it's own backplate built into the mother board, and the newer intel raystorm kits come with two sets of short threaded mounting rods / screws. So contrary to the instructions you don't use any of the included backplates with the RIVE. Thus ignore that bit of the instructions.

Further, since the RIVE has it's own backplate / frontplate you need to use this additional set of threaded short rods but there is no explanation of what they do or what they are for. So screw these new new short mounting rods into the frontplate on the rive, and take the tensioning screws off of the original short rods which are used in the documentation and use these on the mounting rods you screwed into the front plate. The rest of the instructions are the same.

I googled around a bit but only saw this buried within some threads.

Cheers!

2. eessheee

eessheee What's a Dremel?

hey,

thanks for your post. but I cant seem to get it.. do you have photos or a link to the original post? i cant seem to install my raystorm to my r4e :(

3. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

Sorry I only read this now... I am sorry I didn't take photos at the time. So you got two packets of rods with your raystorm block correct? (i) has rods only with threads on both ends of the rods short threads on one end and ling threads on the other end, and the second packet of rods (ii) has short threads on one end, and both tensioning screws and thumbscrews on the other.

Screw the threaded short rods (i) you have into the front side around the cpu socket. You hand tighten these since they don't have thumbscrews on the end. Shorter threads first into the front side. The raystorm block can now just fit over these rods and can rest on the cpu lid.

Then unscrew the tensioning screws from the the rods (ii), and put the spring washer thing in the order they say in the documentation over this and then lastly the tensioning screws go over that (onto the longer threads of the rods). Now that you have that sort of working in a dry run and you know what to do, you can go ahead apply your TIM in a cross (I used phyoba He grease which seems to get the best reviews lately), seat the water block on top of the cpu and then start tightening the tensioning screws. I am not sure how tight to make these since it also doesn't say anywhere... I just used my best guess as how to make it tight but not too tight.

Cheers,
    Jas

Last edited: 2 Jul 2012
    Parge likes this.
  4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Good knowledge sharing +rep

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You say the R4E comes with its own socket backplate - is that the standard LGA2011 fixture? Because the R4Es come with X-socket as well to enable 'standard' LGA1366 cooler mounts. Should be in the box.

6. thebski

thebski What's a Dremel?

I am a bit confused as well. I have the Rampage IV Formula which has the same X-Socket thing. So you remove the original 2011 backplate that the CPU socket clamp is screwed into by using the Torx bit included with your motherboard. Then you use only the long screws with the tension nuts to mount the block and 2011/1366 backplate? What is the CPU socket clamp screwed to? There is no room to use Asus' X-Socket backplate in conjunction with XSPC's 2011/1366 backplate. Do you not rescrew the socket clamp to anything?

In other words, when you unscrew the 4 Torx headed screws around the CPU socket to remove the original 2011 backplate, do you rescrew them into anything or leave them unscrewed?

7. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

Ok :)

This is for the RIVE (I am note sure about the formula or other boards):

I took my RIVE out of the box and *did not* change the backplate. I installed the board just as it was out of the shipping container. I added the rods to the front plate and mounted the raystorm block. Here is a picture of my backplate as it's installed in my machine:

[​IMG]

So with the XSPC raystorm cpu water block there were two sets of threaded rods in the kit. (i) one set of rods with fixed thumbscrews on the end and (ii) one set with just threads on both ends. I ended up using the ones *without* thumbscrews on the ends.

Thus I *did not* use the following rods (i). That is the following rods in this picture are unused / un-needed (don't use them):
    [​IMG]

Use *these rods* with threads on both ends:
    [​IMG]

And... here you can see the block mounted :
    [​IMG]
    Note the tensioning screws that have been applied on the longer threads...

I hope that makes it clear?

Cheers,
    Jas

Last edited: 4 Jul 2012
  8. thebski

thebski What's a Dremel?

OK, so you did not use the XSPC Raystorm 2011 backplate at all. You only use the single backplate that was factory installed on the RIVE.

I do not currently have the long screws as I have been running this block on a 2600K for 6 months and seem to have misplaced them. They should be here on Thursday.

So what you're saying is that the short threads on the "long screws" (ones without the thumbscrew on the end) will screw directly into the factory RIVE backplate? In other words, they are different threads than the threads on the end of the short screws that screw into the 1155/1156/1366 backplates?

I should have probably waited until I had the screws as I could have probably figured it out rather than bothering you, but thank you so much for your assistance and pictures!

9. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

Yes. (Well into the front plate on the RIVE) but yes.

I am glad that you found this thread useful! It certainly puzzled me that the XSPC documentation was so poor here...

Cheers,
    Jas