1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling What were/are your hottest temps on water?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shirty, 6 Aug 2012.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

As you will see from my sig I take the rather unorthodox route of cooling my GTX580 with a Zalman Reserator 1 V2 - this one. I've got it plumbed into an EK full cover block, and my delta T temps are 5°C at idle and 54°C at load.

Meaning that the card is registering 75°C at full load, which doesn't creep up any higher so the Reserator is obviously radiating effectively at that temperature. The coolant obviously isn't going to be quite as hot as the card, I'm guessing it peaks in the high sixties. And it's completely silent - no fans.

Is that too hot for the coolant/tubing/pump? What's the hottest temperature you've ever seen in your loop?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

My max temps are 53C in game, never really gets any higher than that no matter what the ambient temperature. I consider that pretty decent given that I have two GTX 480’s in there! I sometimes wonder what temps I’d get if I replaced them with a 670.

My cooling setup consists of 2x EK 240 XTXs with Aerocool Sharks

3. Shirty

I often wonder what would happen to my temps if I stuck a rad in series with the loop, but then I'd almost certainly have to add a more juicy pump into the equation, at which point I might as well buy a res as well and go to a traditional loop!

One of the biggest advantages of the Reserator is that my case is completely clutter free and has quick-release connectors on the rear for the rare occasions when I need to free it from the loop.

4. Parge

Very nice indeed! Got any pics of your setup? Have you thought about plumbing your CPU in?

5. Shirty

I'll try to remember to take some pics later, though it's not spectacular ;)

Although the 2500k is a fairly cool running chip, I worry that adding it the loop will tip temps over the edge without some added cooling. The Eheim 300 pump works admirably for its size, but is only rated to 300l/h with 50cm height. Meaning I worry it'd have trouble moving the coolant fast enough to be effective.

The Frio does admirably with my oc with both fans on low, and the P182 is pretty good at hiding the minimal noise the fans do make.

6. Shirty

Few pics as promised. Christ I need to de-dust this box. Try to ignore the carpet, it's pink.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

My gfx card has never gone over 50c as far as I can tell when gaming clocked at 940mhz. Think 48c.

CPU I run at 4.8ghz everyday. But there is a strange story to tell with it. At around 56c temp monitor freezes, the reports around 78c, immediately returns to about 57/58c. I think it is a glitch rather than genuine temp reading from when I forgot to remove plastic cover on heatsink... :duh: (I know. Shoot me.)

you would have thought it was throttling and actual temp issues if it weren't for admirable scores that show no signs of it backing off... This goes right the way up to whatever my highest score and oc was in the geekbench thread.

I'm no expert though. Least of all with watercooling. All I know is in Skyrim with my sig rig; CPU is around 54c and gfx card 48c.

Edit: might add I don't know what the water temp is. Also, think those temps ain't bad from a 360 ek rad - not the max thickness one either. Pump is around 800lh though.

8. asura

asura jack of all trades

Radiators (most) are among the lowest restriction parts in your loop, adding one - with or without quick disconnects - shouldn't require a new pump. But if it did, reserator's have been modded to take a DDC pump, one of which (particularly the 18W) should have no problems with a few blocks and radiators... Someone has even stacked resterators - give me a while to search...
    ...searching...
    ...searching...
    ...BINGO

9. ec928

ec928 What's a Dremel?

75°C is fine. And that's not bad for a GTX580 and a passive rad. You're just trading lower cooling performance for very low noise levels. I wouldn't add the CPU into the same loop however.

I get about 70°C under long term load (cpu stress test + furmark stressing the GPU for several hours on a hot day) with an Intel Core i5 2500K (not overclocked) and an HD 7850 in the same loop and connected to a Zalman reserator 1 v2. Short term load is about 60°C (cpu stress test + furmark stressing the GPU for 30 mins).

Last edited: 12 Aug 2012
  10. Shirty

I should add that playing most games the loop only gets to 55 degrees, 75 is at 100% load sustained.

Love adaptive vsync :)

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I get to 60c at most on my CPU and I've never seen my GPU get to above 50c, this is on a phobya g-changer 480. I tend to idle in the high 20's with my fans at 500rpm

12. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

can't recall temp..but in two loops a Q6850 and two 295GTX .. non are the coolest running of kit.
    My Comp room was always toasty warm..

13. S1KO85

S1KO85 What's a Dremel?

and I thought 40c water was warm on my XB360... :worried:

I've seen some pumps (EK DCPs) state operating temperatures of max 60c and warm tubing gets more flexible. So I guess that you could be at greater risks of leaks from poorly fitted tubing and more prone to pump breakdown.

The reserator and most Zalman kit is aluminium so with the copper block I would be more worried about corrosion. (Although the anodising on the reserator does help)

BTW; if you wanted to add some extra cooling capacity you could always look at some alphacool cape coras. I had 4 on the top of my old case which kept my overclocked q9400 below 65c when it was on its own.

14. Parge

I've never seen those before! What are they like?

How do they plug into the rest of your loop? G1/4 threads?

15. Shirty

The Reserator was basically a free gift, so I make the most of it without spending any extra on it ;)

Anyway, a free drop of 15°C over the relatively noisy stock cooler seems a no-brainer to me!

A lot of people cite concern about mixing copper into the Reserator loop, but I can only assume that Zalman anodised the thing pretty well because the bundled CPU block that came with it was made of raw, un-anodised copper. They must have been confident enough that cross contamination wouldn't occur.

Seen those Alphacool rads used in a couple of older mods, they form an excellent basis for quite an industrial looking machine.