1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Extreme Watercooling the Corsair 650D - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Josiahrulez, 18 Aug 2012.

1. Josiahrulez

Josiahrulez What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

I'm looking to watercool my gaming PC, I have very little experience in watercooling (I set up a Swiftech H20-320 for a friend), so I'm probably going to need lot of advice, any advice is good, if you think I'm an idiot for modding my 650D, let me know.

I'm looking for an all internal setup, I go to LANs often and we normally car pool and have like 4 PC's in the back + our fileservers, so i could see an externally mounted radiator getting damaged easily. I'm going to be doing a Blue/UV Blue/Black style, because of the colour of PCB on most of my components.

Here's a list of my current system, I want to watercool everything,
    Case - Corsair Obsidian 650D
    I will be modding this case (Pictures below) and once finished i will be getting sound dampening foam.
    CPU - Intel i7 2600k
    My CPU has been running at 4.8Ghz 24/7 for the last 6 months, so I'll be continuing to do that and occasionally push the OC further for benchmarks. I'm currently using the Corsair H100.
    Motherboard - Asrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
    I'm looking to watercool the Southbridge and Mosfet. No Water Blocks have been made for this motherboard, but i should be able to find some made for similar motherboards that will fit mine. Later I'll take off the Southbridge and Mosfet heatsinks to see what will fit.
    Memory - G.Skill 1600Mhz 2x4GB
    I wan't to upgrade my memory to higher clocked stuff and a model that has a water block made for it.
    Graphics Cards - 3x AMD HD7970
    I want to OC these once water cooled.
    Power Supply - Corsair AX750 Watt
    This power supply is awesome, rated at 750watts, but easily powers my system. I will be upgrading to the Corsair AX1200 Watt because I want to stop using molex to 6/8pins (Corsair 750AX only as enough PCIe power connectors for one GPU), and i will get the blue Pre-sleeved modular cables for the AX1200.
    SSD/HDD - Crucial M4 128GB (OS) and Seagate Momentus 2.5" 750GB (Steam HDD)
    These can both be mounting behind the motherboard tray

Memory -
    Power Supply - Corsair AX1200 Watt $341
    AX1200 Individually Sleeved Modular Cables — Blue $104.99
    CPU Water Block -
    Southbridge Water Block -
    Mosfet Water Block -
    GPU Water Block -
    Top Radiator - Koolance Copper Core CU1402V Dual 140mm $65
    Front Radiator -
    Bottom Radiator -
    Back Radiator -

[​IMG]
    Yellow = Radiator
    Pink = Fans

I will be using the Silverstone Air Penetrator fans because they have the UV blue reactive fins which will go with my colour scheme.

Now with my Case, i will be removing the front 5.25" bays and HDD bays. I want to try fit a Phobya Xtreme 400mm Radiator or Magicool Extreme Dual 180mm or a tripple 120mm thick, high FPI rad? What would be better? a high surface area, low FPI or a thick, high FPI rad with lower surface area?

Phobya Xtreme 400mm Radiator 448x200x36mm - 13FPI - 3.6cm thick
    Magicool Extreme Dual 180mm 400 x 180 x 35 mm - 13FPI - 3.5cm thick

For the top radiator, I'm limited to 7cm before the motherboard will get in the way, so I'm going to go with the Koolance Copper Core CU1402V Dual 140mm - 30 FPI - 3cm thick

I can't decide on the back radiator yet because I'm not sure if I'm water cooling my Mosfet yet, if i am water cooling my Mosfet I'll be limited on space.

For the bottom radiator I'll probably go for thick (6-8cm) 120mm or 240mm radiator (High FPI). I'll just have to decide on the front radiator first.

[​IMG]

I will probably mount a Pump/Reservoir Combo on the motherboard tray (Picture above), will any size reservoir be ok? and for a big loop like this will one pump be enough? (I'm thinking of getting Laing D5 pump)

Still deciding on Waterblocks so i will post back later.

So will this be enough rad for what i want to cool?

2. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

I know this is the 650's bigger brother - but ...

[​IMG]

I found I couldn't mount a 120mm rad on the inside rear of the case as with both it and a fan, it fouled the RAM - but that's on a 2011 system - you might be OK.

I use an XSPC Dual bay res and pump combo in 2 x 5.25 bays

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

i would avoid using radiators from different manufacturers and different series, as their flow rates could be quite different causing disturbances in the flow. If you want to use the koolance copper core series, use that same one for all the rads.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

First things first. If you are going to lots of LANs, then I personally would avoid watercooling for two reasons.

1. It makes your case ridiculously heavy. I can barely lift my Arc Midi, let alone take it down the stairs etc.
    2. All the bumping around could dislodge something, which could cause a leak, etc etc.

5. Xunsu

Xunsu What's a Dremel?

Hello;

Good luck with your project, same case I am going to do my project with a few months time :)

just try to keep stuff the same as it makes it easier and you know were you are with metals etc..

For LAN I too think its a bad idea as a nasty pot hole could ruin your pride and joy...need alone weight of the thing, if you do regardless than good luck with that. I would empty it than refill it at the event...but than I wouldn't...

If I went to Lans I would make a small powerful HTPC like machine, its very possible to build one for around £900.. watercooling the way you specc'ed would be like quite a big chunk of it..

Thats just me, and thinking the most important thing and being realistic..You are different to me.