1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling EK-waterblock instalation?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bladesingerz, 27 Aug 2012.

1. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I've just bought a EK full cover block for my gtx580.
    I've followed the instructions so far but am a bit stuck on step 2, removing all the screws. I'm using a tiny screw driver for electronics and the correct size but I still can't get some of them loose.

I've bought this card used and had no problems with it so far.
    The screws have some kind of Loctite (glue for screws) on them, no idea if thats normal though.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I find they're usually just really stiff. Just try, try and try some more and they'll come free :)

3. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Sure you're using a torx screwdriver? I think it was a T6, IIRC -- I had to hunt high and low to find a shop that sold it one Sunday.

4. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

just make sure you put plenty of pressure on the screw (but don't slip!!!) or you'll round the screw head, torx are better as you don't need quite as much pressure. The screws are put in with blue loctite, why??? I don't know, to piss us off i guess

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I always thought it was a sort of warranty seal...

6. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

nope its for anti vibration seal sounds silly but I have to use gallons of the stuff at work

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ah, that makes sense... :)

8. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Lol vibration, I still think it's to piss us off (joking btw)

9. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

10. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Lol dam it super glue, that'll teach um for trying to mod....

To be honest though i would of thought purple would of been more suitable, its not really what i would call a high vibration component.

11. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Not all screws have loctite on it it seems, and its blue of colour, I always use red at work.

So... I'm almost done with all the screws only 5 of them remain, I've tried everything put big pressure on it and still slipped. I've tried a flat screw driver to maybe loosen it that way but instaid slipped out of the head and scratched the PCB (hopefully not to bad!).

So now I have 5 rounded screw heads and no way to remove the cooler.. Maybe I should just break off the plastic outer shell of the cooler? I've already removed the heat sink.

12. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Time to brake the drill out

13. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

This is never good :(

14. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

No indeed not good... Should I drill it out? I'm quite scared to break my card then... Any tips?

15. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

If your confident mate i'd drill um, you've already got some out so you know what size you need, short of that you could try using a grabit screw extractor but i'm not sure if they go that small.

16. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Alright everything is drilled out and had no accidents, was just wondering if the metal dust that came off the screws could shot stuff out? I blew most things away but I noticed thatsome of the smaller things sticked to the PCB.

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I was waiting for you to do a Bindi there...

And it could. Compressed air is your friend...

18. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

bloody screws are meant to frustrate you on these cards.. same with the 690.. I actually had to dremell (not recommended for the faint hearted) a grove in two of the screws on my 690 to get a flat head screw driver in, as they were that stiff ..the torx rounded off ..

19. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I remember when the ps3 just came out. I bought one on day on. Upgrading the hdd stripped a screw. So in my shifty job at pc world I sat there hammering a flat head into it with customers peering over inquisitively. I'm sure that gave their tech guys all the credit they deserved :D

20. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Got the card finally installed back into my desk and routed some new wires and refilled my loop.
    Started the pump looked at the glorious waterblock and was about to plug everything in when I suddenly saw....

A leak. Like 50ml spilled on my motherboard... ugh, I dipped most things away but some residue sits under the small VRM's.. already tried to hair dry them away and just let it dry out, hopefully my crosshair V will start up once more!