1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling EK CSQ vs Older blocks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ripitup121, 31 Aug 2012.

?

EK Waterblocks preferred design:

1. Older blocks

73.3%
  2. CSQ line

26.7%
  1. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

Hay Guys,

Just wondering has anyone else come accross this and what the general feelings are on the subject. EK whom i have purchased quite a few parts from have released their CSQ range and dont get me wrong they perform great ( i got a supreme HF CSQ block for my new i5 and its epic) and they look pretty good too but i still have a problem with them!

Why.. well the CSQ range for the GPU blocks has taken over and its very hard to find any of the normal blocks for say the 600 series Nvidia cards anymore. Even in the EK shop they dont have them in stock. The reason i want the normal block is due to the fitting set up, it allows, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom with any direction of flow. It makes routing tubing to the various areas in the case so much easier if you can use both one at the top and one at the bottom in whatever way you have flow going and i think thats how most of us would have waterloops routed anyway. The CSQ blocks have only 2 at the bottom and it makes me very hesitant to go and buy one due to being severly limited from the get go. SLi with a bridge might be ok as the bridge link provides more fitting positions but it means buying another GPU and well its not the cheapest option is it.

Sorry about the rant but do you guys feel the same or am i just going mad?

Cheers
    Rip:rock:

Photo is from Rig from my signature but you can see why i want the old blocks as it will work better than either 2 fittings at the bottom or coming out the front (if the link is attached)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 31 Aug 2012
  2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I have the 680 CSQ block, they come with something called an FC link which attaches to the holes on the block so that you now have 2 1/4" threads facing outwards. I put 2 45 degree fittings in these threads (one facing up one facing down).

The solution works well for me but if you really wanted the traditional design Heatkiller blocks seems to be popular for the 6 series.

3. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

It's a shame they went down this route, I too am a long time user of EK blocks (using a Supreme HF atm), but like a lot of others the new design really doesn't sit well with me. As you say the performance is still there, but why decided to cover everything in circles I have no idea...

I'd love for them to offer un-circled tops and stick with them, but it looks like i'm going with XSPC for my next build.

4. [PUNK] crompers

To be honest I like the design but I seem to be in the minority there (go to overclockers forums and the CSQ hatred is palpable).

But to be honest how often do you see that side of the card unless you have an inverted ATX build? Twice is how often, once when you fit it and once when you take it off.

5. Ripitup121

I can live with the circles, like Punk said you only see them rarely but its the fittings thing that bugs me more. Having 2x 45 degree bends out in front is an option but still why not offer both blocks. The XSPC seems to be the best solution alright but its still a pity that EK killed a good thing with the change. The saying is true for this case. If its not broken dont fix it.

Rip :rock:

6. [PUNK] crompers

They said this design was implemented so that people could just choose their own fittings, which is clearly a load of marketing bumpf

Personally I like it, but then its my first block so dont have anything to compare it to. I can tell you i've never seen my GPU hit 60c

7. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I like um think they look clean and tidy

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

used EK blocks uptill the gtx 580s, when i got
    truegamers 680s off him, and i saw these new block i didnt like em and i prefered the old clean look as i always whent for the copper/acetel combo and they didnt fit the 4gb palit cards. i whent for for the watercool.de "hole" ones in the end and build quality is amazing.

9. Ripitup121

Added Pic in first Post to show my delema... :wallbash:

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Long time EK fan, but their new line... nope. I will be going elsewhere. I DO have an inverted build, and I can see everything all the time and the aesthetics and functionality are not up to the past products. These new ones are UGLY, I like plain simple no nonsense design. Sorry EK, please fire your current designer.

11. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

See what you talking about now. I agree, they just want you to get their Sli link thingy as well

12. [PUNK] crompers

FC link comes free with the block

13. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

I don't mind the circles on the CSQ design as I never really see them, except for the FC bridge I use to link the two 670's. (pic below) This I will shortly be replacing with a acrylic version.
    [​IMG]

The CSQ design is a lot less noticeable on the acrylic topped blocks, so much so that I can barely see it on my CPU block, the acrylic is also slightly frosted which I find to be quite nice once you get used to it.

14. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Ok its not too bad then.

Danger Den have also released a block for the 680 now that looks very good

15. Ripitup121

Punk is there any chance you can post a pic of yours with the 2x 45 degree fittings!!!

Tags: