1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Temp sensor extension

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dopeyman, 25 Sep 2012.

1. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Hi all,

The inline temp sensors have wire that are far too short, anyone have any ideas on how to extend them?

I've been looking on lots of sites and can't find anything :(

Cheers

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I cannibalised the sensor wire from a sensor that had stopped working to extend mine and spliced it in. Temp reading before and after were the same but I only extended it by about 6". Longer extensions could possibly affect the accuracy but I don't really know.

You can buy sensor cables separately but if anyone knows what type of wire it uses it would be helpful.

Edit: reading the product details with this suggests it's just normal thin wire similar to that used on the power and reset buttons connectors.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

What temp sensor are you using?

On my old case the temp sensor was connected via a 2 pin fan connector so fan extensions might work.

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Be brave- just cut & solder in some extensions made from the same gauge wire, insulate joins with some heat shrink tubing and it's job-done :)

5. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Thanks for the replies :)

I did think about soldering the wire but was put off buy what I've read saying that it can affect the reading due to resistance. Ive got everything I need to do it, including spare wires from an old controller.

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...-x-Male--1-x-Female-14-Threads-pid-11849.html

That's the sensor I'm using :)

Big elf, that is exactly what I was thinking of. Been looking for ages for them. Lol. Ive never heard of c&c central, what are they like?

Cheers all

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Looking at the sensor can't you use THIS?

Edit...ah just noticed Big Elfs edit but that's what I meant in my earlier post.

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

C&C are one of the best. Very helpful and great customer service.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Since the spec says it has a resistance of 10k I would think that any method of extension is not going to have much effect on the overall accuracy. With thermocouples I think extension has to be thought out a bit better but I reckon this should be fairly robust in terms of soldering a wire or using a terminal block etc.

9. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

with a 10K resistance you'd have to add a fair amount of wire before you starter skewing the reading by even 1C. Cutting and soldering will work fine.

10. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Excellent, thanks everyone for you help. Lots of really great advice. I need to order a couple of other bits so will prob just get the extension. It will look better in the long run, my soldering isn't pretty ;)