1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Which Antivirus do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by short1uk, 20 Sep 2011.

1. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

Hi guys, new to the forum so be gentle on me ;)

I am an IT Engineer and reinstall machines for a living. People ask me to put a free AV on their machines so I always put Microsoft Security Essentials on. I use this myself along with Malwarebytes and have had no problems, yes it's slow to scan but its free so I can live with that.

Other day I met this chap and he said its rubbish, he recommends ESET. So out of all the free ones and paid ones which would you sell or install for free on a customers machine?

Cheers

Catherine

2. jossi007

jossi007 What's a Dremel?

I'm an IT engineer myself, and found out with experience that every technician likes an other anti virus.
    Bottom line, I have seen viruses bypassing every existing anti virus. Security Essentials is actually very accurate and in my experience will find many more viruses than the popular AVG free version, especially the resident shield is very strong.
    Right now at the moment I would definitely recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

3. windy

windy What's a Dremel?

I'm a fellow newbie on here so I'll go gentle ;)

I've used AVG on a number of systems for a number of years and always found it very good at stopping the nasties, and also easy to use. Definitely prefer it over Security Essentials. I always combine it with Malwarebytes too.

I must admit I've never used ESET so can't comment on it.

windy

4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

The general consensus for forum members is that MSE is one of the best Anti Virus available (inc Free and Pay)

I use MSE on all my machines, and all other machines i come into contact with, No horror stories yet.

Sam

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

6. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Microsoft Security Essentials here. Never had any problem. Found viruses on a PC where Symantec didn't.

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

MSE for me, never notice it doing anything really but it seems to work!

8. Monty

Monty What's a Dremel?

Mse nails all the viruses my varsity colleagues have thrown at me.

Best of all it has no irritating startup popups, autoupdates with windows update and is free!

9. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Avira still - though hopefully they won't mess it up with v10 SP2 - I can live with the popup which is only on the boot update, every other update check is a small square box at the bottom right hand corner of the screen, which I'm pretty sure you can minimise if you wish.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

well if you are installing free versions on customers machine, then it has to be MSE, licensing of most of the others don't allow for business users to install free ones, either on own machine or customers.

btw, AVG allow you to install OEM licenses on computer repairs, so you could upsell a better paid for version.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2011
  11. Xcellente

Xcellente What's a Dremel?

any free one will do

Last edited: 22 Oct 2011
  12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Avast! Professional edition on my workstations and MSE on my laptops. Always had great results with Avast! and horrible trouble with Norton, ESET and McAfee so avoid them. I usually recommend Avast! free edition to private customers.

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I used to use AVG but they it just stopped working and I couldn't reinstall so I switched to Avast

14. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

MSE all the way lite and very little user interaction required. I love it

15. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

Another one for MSE here, I've never had a problem with viruses and it just sits quietly in the notification bar, no 'license running out' or 'are you sure you want to do this?' pop ups. Whenever I'm asked about AV it's the one I recommend (v. user friendly).

16. adamix

adamix What's a Dremel?

AVAST! is quite reliable, MSE and AVG are not too bad either. All these are better than the dreaded pay-for McAfee that can be worse than the virus it tries to protect you from.

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Avira AntiVir but if it's for customers then it'd be MSE.

I put that on my mums laptop, I think the free pop up would freak her out (although I do recall seeing someway of disabling that somewhere). The only time she had problems was because she was clicking links she shouldn't.

IT helpdesk days came in handy with that one, luckily I'd put Malwarebytes on it which is easy to talk through.

So yup, for customers MSE and Malwarebytes.

Teelzebub likes this.
  18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I use Avira because it's good and it's free.

19. Juu

Juu Haters Gonna Hate [✓]

Also work in IT..

Microsoft Security Essentials is what I use/recommend, however most customers/people I deal with use paid for AV, such as symantec or mcafee.

Aslong as you have common sense your anti virus is not really needed.

20. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Sophos, because it's been free from school/work/university and always seems unobtrusive and effective. My laptop has Security Essentials on it though.