1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam DiRT Rally

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The_Crapman, 27 Apr 2015.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

For all you Colin McRae wannabies out there.

It's Out on steam now as an 'early access' game, with 36 stages across 3 countries and 17 cars to choose from. It's meant to be a proper rally sim like CMR of old and I for one can't wait to play it. Just need to get another hard drive so I have some space to put it. lol

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Always a genre I want to enjoy but can never get in to it!

This early access release came as something of a surprise didn't it?

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

PC exclusive - and Oculus Rift compatible too!

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Want.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm a bit out the loop at the mo, so was pretty shocked when it popped up. All the codies lot I've spoke to about it say it's really good. Yeh the graphics aren't amazing as it's on the old engine, but it drives really well. So glad to see them making proper games again.

6. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

Glad they have finally gone back to a proper rally game, adored the originals.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Gave it a quick play last night and only on a gamepad as I couldn't be arsed to get my wheel out but initial impression aren't bad but will say doesn't seem to offer up much over WRC4 on my Vita....well apart from quicker load times :D that's a pretty slick rally game I could not put down.

Hopefully once I get the Wheel on I can get some idea of the feedback, see it it can match/beat my old fave Rally Championship 2000.

Its got promise, will be interesting to see how online fares too and how the game progresses with updates. Reckon I'll need to put a few hours in to give it a fair shout, earn some better wheels etc.

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Check this out, nice set up

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

A rally game from Codies without any gimmicks, holy moly this might actually be good. All that X-treme sports ******** and skater punk of the last few Dirt games really got on my nerves.

10. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

Looks a lot like the original games, almost bought it tonight......still swaying

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Quite nice with the g27

12. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

Tried it with keyboard tonight.......ouch.

Need to look out my old Momo to see if it works lol.

13. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Proper excited about this.
    No stupid yank commentary or post to youtube crap.
    Finally, a modern 'pure' rally game.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Bought it, love it.

Very tricky with a gamepad, but on a wheel it's excellent. Very harsh damage model, not much grip etc on the gravel stages. Just like Dirt1 really, but with a much more advanced physics model. Even on the 3 areas they've got so far (greece, wales and monte carlo) the detail etc is excellent, and the stage variations are enough to keep you entertained.

I can't imagine being able to get the group B stuff down a stage at full chat yet, it's very hard indeed!

Edit: To add, I loved Dirt2, it was a great breath of fresh air into a very stale game category, and did no end of good for people who ended up loving rally games from starting small at the stadium-based stuff etc. Dirt3 was pretty suck though.

Last edited: 3 May 2015
  15. wst

wst Minimodder

It runs far better than it should on my 1GB HD 6870. I even managed one stage in "Ultra" settings at 1080p with only minor detrimental side effects of 30fps... I have it in "Medium" though to get a solid 60 anyway.

The physics is great. Crashing feels a little bit goofy at times, they might iron that out a bit. I really love/hate that if you get slightly off track it's really very difficult to save yourself without losing boatloads of speed. It's intuitive to control but doesn't forgive fools easily!

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yep, the forest/gravel is super hard to get back on line again once you've strayed. Always struggle in those flat out bits for fine control when hitting the limiter in 4th/5th, had some big smashes that way! :D

17. wst

wst Minimodder

I had some fun going through replays with everything turned up.

It's... not an ugly game!

I realised that the wipers go the wrong way on the Lancia, if you look at the dirt streaks on the windscreen to the wiper motion... hmm!

18. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

I mistimed a bend and never seen a cooper S fly like that before. Awesome also it unlocks an achievement. 50 hours in dirt 2 I think dirt rally will also get some serious game time.

19. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

Couldnt be bothered looking for my Momo parts so hooked up my sons ps4 controller, it is actually not too bad lol

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Any one got this, looks impressive on the dk2.

Will test it out on triple screen (do some pictures) and check out the direct to rift mode.

Will have to learn pace notes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacenotes