1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Titanfall Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 17 Mar 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

Oh, I say!

3. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

interesting review, though no pc version graphics comparison?

4. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I may pick this up when it's £10~ as these types of games I only play for 30-40 hours before I get bored. I wanted to buy it this last weekend but the price was an instant turn off, the cheapest I found was a russian key code for just under £30 and the cheapest UK code was just shy of £35, normally new games can be had for £20-25. Due to this greed I will wait till its in the bargain bin or forego getting it altogether, who knows what the state of play will be like in the future. If you want to charge stupid price, at least stick it on steam.

Although I loved the verticality of the game, I didn't really enjoy the titan's, and by the end of the beta/demo I had enjoyed it but wasn't really craving any more. The multiplayer aspect isn't really there as almost all my friends have bypassed it completely.

5. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

bought my copy off greenmangaming.com for $10 off, so it's $49.99USD.

can't u UK boys buy that and add the key to your Origin?

nice article btw. this game is choking the hell out of my sleeping hour.
    the restriction with servers and mods are annoying, but it's far from stopping me from spending hours running parkour around burning metal and explosive robots... it's. that. good.

besides, it's not like they can't add those functionalities in.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I bought it from cdkeys.com - they had it for £25.99 - 5% for liking their facebook page. It's not that cheap now however but can be had for a shade under £30.

7. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

http://www.keye.pl/games/product/id/19744/Titanfall-Titanfall-ENG
    This is the site I use for my keys. Never had any problems with it (steam, origin and other keys).
    Titanfall will set you back around £30 (I managed to grab it for £25 at preorder)
    The store is in Polish, but I'm sure you can find someone who speaks the language or just google translate it.

8. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

We'll be looking to do a performance/graphics feature soon.

9. GeorgeK

The only thing that annoys me performance-wise is no SLI - don't get me wrong, a 680 will keep it at 60fps most of the time with all the settings maxed at 2560x1440 but it has to work hard to do it. I'd much rather it was 60fps all of the time with two cards working at 50%-60% than one at 100% and one doing bugger all.

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am really enjoying this game.

The only thing I think that is a let down is the graphics but, to be honest you are hardly ever stood still to take notice of them properly.

I actually payed the full price on Origin for this because I know, that I will play it for easily the next 8 months and probably longer for atleast 1 to 3 hours a day, also I think considering the size the team they didn't do to bad of a job.

Yes there is a few issues but still it's been a far smoother launch that most of the so called AAA games lately.

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Online shooters are so last decade darling....

12. GeorgeK

I thought exactly the same until I played this (for the most part anyway) but it's got a feeling of excitement to it that other online shooters have lacked for quite a long time imo

13. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

Yeah they're reliable, bought BF4 + Premium for £60 total (could have done for cheaper if I didn't get it so late) and Titanfall for £25.99 which is probably worth the money since it is something that I'll play at weekday nights for an hour or so rather than CoD anymore since I did not enjoy Ghosts at all from what I've played on my brother's 360 (get killed too quickly, even for a CoD game).

14. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

It mostly sounds like recycled hash to be honest:

"The combination of wall-running and double-jumping is transformative, making Titanfall a truly three-dimensional shooter."
    - Player mobility and control lifted directly from Unreal Tournament 2003/2004

"The Titans also go some way to solving another big problem with larger-scale FPS', which is that vehicle combat is for some intangible reason never quite as enjoyable as being a straightforward infantryman."
    - Planetside successfully melded vehicular and infantry combat a long time ago

"…debating which of the game's brilliant Burn Cards to carry with you into the next round."
    - Character spec mechanics lifted directly from any number of RPGs are not brilliant and innovative merely because they've been poached for a AAA FPS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a very good game and lots of people will get plenty of enjoyment out of it, but it's still huddling in the shadow of giants rather than standing on their shoulders.

I try not to hate on the FPS genre but it's so hard not to when everything released since Battlefield 2 / Medal of Honor / Planetside 1 / Counterstrike has made such inconsequential iterative changes to an otherwise play-it-safe formula and something like this is considered to be daring and different. Way to think still-inside-but-pressed-right-against-the-edge-of-the-box.

15. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So much wasted life!

16. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I played the beta... liked the training missions and training combat. More fun than Hawken. Only problem is I seem to have switched almost entirely to mobile gaming on iPad where a great game with multiplayer costs 69p. Gone are the days when I will pay full price for a game like TFall and I wouldn't pay £30 either. Come to think of it I wouldn't pay £25. The low cost of mobile games has changed the way I think about gaming and the prices I'm willing to pay. Battlefield 3 was the most I've ever paid but I did get a lot of hours from it.

There's also the issue of 35gb uncompressed audio? Why has no one mentioned that? Did remedy make that optional for the final release?

Last edited: 18 Mar 2014
  17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It's nearly 0.01% of a lifespan playing just one game :jawdrop:

18. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Tell that to a friend of mine. He's been playing CSS every evening since it was released and now has replaced it with CS Go which is also played for some hours each night.

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It doesn't count for him, because he doesn't have a life.

20. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I enjoy playing games, so it's not really wasted since it's something I want to do.

The thing that use to get done was basically going out spending money of stuff I shouldn't have been and getting home, in a state that wasn't very good.

Yeah there is probably other things I could be doing in that time but I just don't want to, to be honest.

Tags: Add Tags