Modding G27 MOD - Custom wheel rim

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Snubbs, 7 Aug 2015.

1. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

Hi All,

For quite a few years I've been modifying my Logitech G27 in some way or another - starting with getting a Leo Bodnar SLI-Pro & a mount for it from Derek Speare Designs, through to bolting on a Steelseries SRW-S1 using a kit from Simulaje, and adding additional functionality, eventually ripping out the PCB and fitting my own following a component failure.

Over the time I've improved my soldering skills and technique among other lessons.

With my most recent mod I've decided to learn some new skills and take it to the "next level". A friend has recently gained access to a laser cutter - which opens up new options for me in terms of what I can do. I've always tended to struggle to accurately cut perspex (my hands seem to be accurate for soldering, dismantling & rebuilding, but not for crafting!).

With the access to the new tool, I've taken to learning Sketchup for modeling my concept, then building it up again in the 2D Design software used with the laser cutter.

I've actually come quite a long way from my initial concept so some of this post will be retrospective - I didn't bother posting previously as I've often tended to start projects and then give up at the first hurdle. This project I'm persevering with. A lot of my ideas & designs come from looking at other peoples designs & mods, so I'm hoping that my log might also inspire others.

So, the initial concept (designed in Sketchup)

[​IMG]

I started the design by first re-creating the Simscreen SS-01 I have bought from SymProjects - I've had this for some time and made a bit of a crude mount for it using some scrap of perspex and a dremel motosaw (excuse the low-light photo!):
    [​IMG]

In addition to the SS-01, I'll be using a Leo-bodnar BBI-32 button controller.

At this point - I had yet to figure out how I could make or mount some paddle shifters onto the wheel, as the space between the back & where the wheel mounts to the G27 is limited. That's probably a story for another post.

My next update will cover the paddle-shifters and the first design I put into the 2D design software.

Cheers,
    James

Last edited: 24 Aug 2015
  2. Snubbs

SLI-Pro enclosure

Hey,

I've been quite busy with work and other things over the last couple of weeks, hence my silence.
    As it's raining cats and dogs outside I've got round to working on my project a bit more.

I've always quite liked the look of the SLI-Pro enclosures you can buy from Leo Bodnar and a few others (e.g. this lovely aluminium enclosure) however I can't mentally justify a £70 spend on something purely cosmetic (I'm a bit of a scrooge).

So, I figured I'd give it a bash creating something with the laser cutter, and below is my work. I used the .DXF file which Leo kindly provides on his website, and worked from that. It's got quite some awkward dimensions to work with, and the software I'm using is a bit basic, but I managed to get something reasonable designed:
    [​IMG]

My friend has since got some perspex cut for me, and it has come out as below (again, sorry for the crappy photos):
    [​IMG]

I've worked away at this bit tonight, sanding down the 2 screw-holes so that there's enough room for the PCB to fit snuggly between the 2 plates - it was quite a bit of effort ensuring I didn't snap the bit off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once complete I've put it all together - looking good:
    [​IMG]

The plates don't line up fully in these photos, however once I've completed it I'm hoping a bit of bodging will sort that - if not I might finally have a use for the "Sugru" sitting in my fridge..

[​IMG]

I don't have screws quite long enough for the job, however new ones are on the way.
    [​IMG]

I'm planning on revising the front-plate a bit (widening the bit around the read-outs), and also intend to get a bit of smoked perspex cut to sit over the front - I've yet to decide if it should cover the full front, or only the LEDs (as they're pretty damn bright):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for tonight's update - I hope to provide a bit more information on where I am with the wheel soon.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2015
  3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Picture's not working

4. Snubbs

Thanks for letting me know - I had checked it from my end with diff browsers etc, but I'm guessing the image host I used wasn't quite working out. I've moved over to photobucket, hoping all is visible now!

:thumb:

5. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

any more updates