1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Problem with in-game voice chat

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ModSquid, 4 Aug 2016.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hi chaps,

I've recently converted to PC gaming and managed to drag a couple of buddies along with me, but we're getting slightly disheartened as it doesn't seem quite as plug and play as the Xboxes we're used to.

Loaded up Dawn of War last night, managed to get a voice chat going with my buddy using the Steam overlay, but had massive issues. Once we'd worked out to reduce the game sounds and increase the voice channel in the game settings (since the Chat window didn't appear to have the functionality and the relevant control on my headset remote didn't work, even though it does on the Xbox), we then had issues with the quality of the comms.

I could hear my mate relatively well, but at his end, I kept chopping in and out. The headset works fine on its own and I can hear my outgoing voice in the speakers, which sounds okay; it also works fine on the Xbox. I haven't tried another set yet (as I don't have one to hand), but has anyone else had/resolved similar issues? We then had to give up as we couldn't get the in-game text chat to open either. Is this a Steam thing? If so, is there an alternative we can use either whilst playing, or even to test (I'm thinking maybe Skype)?

I don't want to give up on this, but I think my buddies are losing patience and aside from having no-one to play with ( :waah:), they won't be overly chuffed with me to boot.

Help appreciated!

2. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

Last time I used comms regularly (admittedly this was many years ago) Teamspeak was the program of choice. Not sure if this is still the case but worth a trial at least.

3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Teamspeak and mumble require dedicated servers (fairly cheap to rent). Skype would probably suffice

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Yeah, I was thinking Skype might be the next step.

Surely Steam should support voice chat for gaming though? That's one of the main requirements for co-ordinated multiplayer!

5. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Take a look at discord, its free and doesnt need to run on any of your pc's

ModSquid likes this.
  6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Discord was the answer, it seems! Thanks very much. Tested it with two of us and it was pretty good. Some lag in mic sometimes ie. first word of a sentence would get dropped (not sure why) and have yet to test it with a few of us on, but otherwise, I think we have a winner!

Cheers and +repped.