1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals So I'm after a mouse...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fordy, 24 May 2012.

1. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

I'm looking for a new mouse. Wired.

I currently use a Logitech MX Revolution - and I do really like it, it's very comfortable, recharging's easy, etc.

But it often glitches out all over the place jittering across the screen and sticking. Not great for racking up kills in BF3.

I'm sure this would be easy enough to fix if I took the time to look at it - but half the point is that I don't want to. (Actually the other half is that I hat Logitech's software, and I think I uninstalled it which would explain it bugging out...).

I'm looking at getting a Corsair K60 keyboard, and after that I'll probably buy a new mouse. But I realised when I started making a 'to buy' list - I actually didn't have any idea what mice I liked. I could barely think of any to search for at all.

Any suggestions welcome - don't need loads of macros etc., not an MMO fan. Also if anyone knows the last issue of CPC in which there was a mouse group test.. that'd be awesome too!

Thanks as usual,

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Good luck, Tom has been after Jerry for flippin ages..

Not even going to apologize. This is what happens when I have no GPU.

Edit: I have a K60 already and the M60 to go with it and its lovely.. my 2p

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I have a wireless Razer Mamba and it is amazing for Battlefield 3!

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I might have a solution to that issue. I use a MX Revolution and I used to have the same problem. First, the surface you use can also contribute greatly to that effect. My Artisan glass coated mouse mat has been of a great help too. In addition I use these settings>
    Make this to a reg file, clear any spaces...
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
    "SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,a0,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,40,\
    "SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,66,a6,02,00,00,00,00,00,cd,4c,\
    05,00,00,00,00,00,a0,99,0a,00,00,00,00,00,38,33,15,00,00,00,00,00

Give that a try before getting a new mouse. It was like night and day for me. I wouldn't mind getting a new mouse if one that was as good or better actually existed.

7. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

My fave mouse by a mile is Logitech's G500. Nice large fit, customisable buttons, and on the fly scroll wheel sensitivity change (great for scrolling up and down long forum threads super fast).

Only downside for me is that it's not built to last. I have had to get it replaced once because the microswitch inside the left-click worn out after a years use (yes, they don't ooze quality, but they work great while they last).

8. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Thanks for that, just made the changes and giving it a whirl now. I'll see how it goes for a few days (the issue is intermittent so I can't know yet).

Also the surface should be okay (or I'm out of pocket) - it's a large Razer mouse mat. Alpha Goliath or something I think.

9. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

Typing this on the K60. Really pleased with it. Thinking of getting an M60 as the reviews seem to be good.
    Mice can be quite personal though, do you have a shop nearby where you could try some out?

10. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Not really, there's one re-opening in town, but it's more your run-of-the-mill granny-PC kind of shop. Or at least it was the last time it existed.

I tend to like larger mice though, like the MX Rev, as I hold them sort of, with, my hand, rather than under my hand, using fingertips if you see what I mean.

I'm not a 'twitcher' as CPC say.

11. davefelcher

I have the MX Rev too. It's great but it's not holding charge like it used to and the charger is playing up. Are there any wired mice that have a scroll wheel that can switch between freewheel and clicky?

12. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

G500!

That's what it's best for. Similar to MX rev (my previous mouse) in shape and style.

Also, are your mice still not in warrenty? It's 3 years with Logitech.

13. davefelcher

Thanks, I'll look at the G500.
    I've had my MX Rev over 5 years now.

Edit: Just had a look at the Logitech site. The G700 looks nice although good god it's expensive. £90 from Logitech.

Last edited: 24 May 2012
  14. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

You just click the button underneath the scroll wheel and your immediately free to spin it as fast as you want. It's become second nature with me now (I set forum threads as long as possible though, so 100 posts long on bittech).

And I program the other buttons to show desktop, and some other shortcuts. I actually make use of them in other words (not gimmicky). It's got a braided cable too. I recommend it definitely if you have the MX rev.

My MX also ran out of charge and I threw it one month before it ran out of warranty last year, stupidly of course.

15. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Mionix naos always ets my vote it is easily the comfiest mouse I'v used

M90 is pretty comfy to....keep it in he family

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Your best bet is to Google reviews on the top rated mice. You find yourself in the rather spoilt position of there being more than a handful of worthy contenders.

There are no less than 3 or 4 Logitech ones alone worthy of consideration. Same again for Razer, then there's Corsair, Cooler Master, Cyborg, Roccat, Steelseries..ect..

It is a long list.

17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I also need a new mouse... I have the MX Revolution, and it starts to disconnects for a slight moment here and then, I fixed the problem by extending the internal antenas inside the mouse with stricked out small copper wires. Helps a lot, but not a full fix. My receiver is already behind my monitor. Bringing the mouse closer solves the problem, you have to be ridicously close.. I think compoennennt aged, and disn't as string as before.

Anyway, here are some ideas:
    -> Get the Desktop MX 5500, and don't use the keyboard, and you have another MX revolution. The only difference is that it's on Bluetooth and not 2.4Ghz wireless.

-> Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700. Not the same as the Logitech MX Revolution, but as the new Logitech mouse battery (AA) life sucks.. like really.. I have the Performance MX on my other computer, and it has 3 days of battery life. The mouse feeld cheaper, to be a honest, like all new Logitech mouses, you don't have the auto click/free spin switch system anymore, it's a mechanical button that you press to do the switch. But, Iit allows you to recharge the mouse while using it, and you get increase DPI (if you want) over wired., and you don't lose number of buttons as you do on the Performance MX.

What bugs me in all this, is that the Logitech SetPoint drivers have a bug (since version 1), where side scrolling is broken. It only works on some few select software, but the rest it fails, including in Windows 8. Windows 8 start screen is wide, and you want to scroll, having side scrolling is great! and works lovely.. until you install the SetPoint drivers... now it stops working. It's because of this bug:
    http://pretentiousname.com/setpoint_hwheel/index.html

So I have a hard time buying any new mouse.. i want a Logitech mouse, but the broken and never fixed drivers, which now will impact Windows 8 usage... that's a no go for me.

18. Williz

Williz Minimodder

I use a G9 laser at work and a RAT 9 at home. Both are damn good mice but I would really like an MX as they are so comfortable with the oversize grip.

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Razer Deathadder and Mionix Naos 5000. Both are awesome mice I would recommend to anyone.

20. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I had a Logitech G5 mouse and broke the switch for the left mouse button back when I was playing a lot of WoW, i switched to a MX Revolution and it's been a superb purchase, still running like new over 5 years later. It's had a lot of use and survived being carried round in a laptop bag day in day out for years as well. In the same time a MS wireless has lost it's left click as well.

I've occasionally had it jitter and not respond correctly, but the few times I found a hair or some dust had got into the hole that the laser uses.

If (when) it ever dies, i'd ideally want something with the same type of mouse wheel, so believe the G700 or Performance MX are the current equivalents?

Tags: