1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus reveals Z87 Motherboard Range

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 16 May 2013.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

"Bit-tech actually attended an event in Amsterdam a few weeks ago" ;) wink! wink! nudge! nudge! Say no more!!!

"Sadly we don't have any performance or overclocking details at this point" Too busy doing something else Aye!!!! ;)

Even Fernando Torres proved last night that anyone can "Score" in Amsterdam :)

3. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

No PCI slots. That would mean losing my Auzentech X-Meridian 2G. No buy.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Cant say im a lover of the gold and yellow color scheme, and while the new CPU fan header is nice wouldn't most people just splash the £10-15 on a 4 pin fan ?

I do like the sound of the history and notes feature in the UEFI BIOS though, as it will save having to make notes on what settings you changed last OC attempt when the stress test fails five hours later.

But personally im going to skip Haswell and wait for Skylake.

5. Combatus

If you're going for premium fans such as Scythe GT or SilverStone Air Penetrator then very few of these have 4-pin PWM connectors (not the same as 4-pin molex you understand - that's different!). This way you could even hook up a 3-way 3-pin fan adaptor and hook several fans up too.

6. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Who the hell came up with that color scheme?!

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

You can't expect them to hold to PCI for ever and can always use a PCI-Express to PCI riser riser card.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the 'Hero'... Seems to have all the benefits and expansion slots of higher end boards and hopefully will cost the same as the Gene m-ATX. Sounds like a win, win to me.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Wow those are some spectacularly ugly boards!

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

It's great to see the motherboard industry has come down to fan controllers to differentiate themselves. We really need some better ones. I was fed up with Gigabyte Z68's fan controller so decided to buy a dedicated piece of hardware.

But a simple toggle in the EFI will do the job, the fancy fan socket just gold plated excessive engineering.

10. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

I like the look of the maximus vi hero and the sabertooth gryphon, but the rest look ugly.

11. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I am very tempted to replace my million year old original i7 920 with haswell. Roll on June!

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Depends what you call premium :D are you going for low noise, high air flow or good static pressure. Sure some fans don't come in PWM flavors but its not like you cant find one to match what characteristic your looking for.

13. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

So the ROG Hero is effectively the Z87's ROG Gene or do you reckon there will be a Gene as well?

I am going to be looking for a ROG m-ATX board for my new build.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

TrevDX, you're reading that wrong. They're saying that the Hero (which is clearly ATX sized) will cost about the same as the Gene does today, not replacing the Gene. I would definitely expect a VI Gene for this chipset, due to the popularity of the series.

15. Combatus

Yep we can confirm there will be a Gene. Everything else is under wraps!

16. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

That's the issue with trying to read quickly whilst at work ;) Also the picture seemed a bit deceptive, still all good now.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've announced

Extreme
    Gene
    Hero

so far

18. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

I've been using speedfan to control 3-pin fans with no extra hardware for about 10 years now... what's the big deal?

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I don't think these pictures do the black & gold board justis, i just found another picture with it in a black case and it looks sooo much better.

20. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Just to go against the grain here but I think the color scheme on these boards looks awesome :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags