1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Benefits or otherwise of workstation graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by charliefreak100, 15 May 2015.

1. charliefreak100

charliefreak100 What's a Dremel?

I am building a PC primarily for video editing using Premiere Pro CC.

I've budgeted a modest amount for a graphics card - enough for a pretty top-of-the-line consumer / gaming card. But this same budget would only stretch to a low-end workstation graphics card.

Looking at specs and benchmarks, it seems that I get significantly more bang for my buck with a consumer / gaming card. These cards are fully supported by Premiere Pro (according to the Adobe website), and I don't need 10-bit video output.

So my question is: should I still be considering a lower end workstation graphics card, or should I stick with a high-end consumer card.

(Before anyone asks, I don't need the machine to double for gaming - I just want the best possible render and preview times in Prem Pro).

THANKS

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If the software you are using does not require a workstation card, there is little reason to play the premium for one. As you have already seen, for the same price a consumer card will be dramatically better performing than a workstation card.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

To second the above, given the same budget, I'd suggest that in all but a precious few use cases the consumer card will outperform the workstation one. Premiere Pro appears to be quite satisfied with either - https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pr...14) system requirements and language versions

The interesting comparisons can come when you're looking at like-hardware (i.e. top end Quadro compared to top end Geforce) with certain apps, but then the costs are clearly miles apart.

If you aren't interested in a 30-bit workflow, then stick with the consumer card.

I don't know enough about how much Premiere Pro offloads to the GPU to make a statement on the matter, but I could pose it as a question - is a "high end" consumer card even overkill if you're not interested in gaming? A middle of the road card may perform just as well and that budget could be re-applied to memory or CPU if that's more useful.

This might be useful in determining what card to choose - https://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/mercury-playback-engine-gpu-acceleration

4. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

If you were doing architectural design using CAD/CAE programs for 3D modeling designing skyscrapers, big bridges, or luxury yachts or aircraft carriers, then I would say don't hesitate to budget $3000, $4000 or more for a workstation graphics card. But in your case, you don't need to.

I would still budget for a good card, with lots of on board RAM, and ensure this PC has lots of RAM (I would go for 16Gb), a good i7, and an SSD.

5. zedshead

zedshead What's a Dremel?

thanks for info guys.
    [​IMG]