1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress silent wooden PC case (optimal airflow) COMPLETED!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MattP, 13 Nov 2012.

1. MattP

MattP What's a Dremel?

This is my first post here on these forums, so hello!

I've always been averse to the noise PCs usually make, and always endeavoured to make something really quiet. So I recently built myself a wooden PC, with a more efficient airflow than a typical ATX case.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but a video is even better ;) so please have a look and tell me what you think! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-_JIjhAyA

Last edited: 14 Nov 2012
  2. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Looking nice. :)

But I will have to disagree with you, when you say a video is better than pictures. At least when it comes to modding.
    The whole idea IMHO with a "project log" is to let people follow the progress while you build/mod your pc.
    But that's just my opinion. :)

3. Primum Agmen

Primum Agmen What's a Dremel?

I've always hated having to sit through videos just to get a feel for a case, so I'd also agree with Angel that pictures of the build along with some commentary would be better. :)

The 5m cable I cringed at a bit. Having a separate thing and hiding away the computer isn't a bad idea, it just seems that there could have been a better way to go about it.

How much noise does the case make when it's sat on your desk rather than in the cupboard?

I giggled far too much at your very southern accent. North > South. :p

4. MattP

MattP What's a Dremel?

Ah, sorry about that. I don't really know how things are done around here. :)

What would an alternative be to a wire? I can't imagine how I'd make it wireless... what with the HDD led, power button, audio transport, USB hubs etc etc... and it would need to then be plugged into the mains for power anyway. ;) But, I guess it's a preference thing. I hate wires, so I thought I'd make the external unit to minimise them (which it does fantastically! :D )

As for the noise, it's audible when it's on the desk, but it's more of an air movement noise, and there's no humming. It's not bad, but on the desk it's not truly silent, which is why I went and put it in the cupboard :) it's pretty weird having no noise when gaming etc, I've got to say! It's one of those things that you have to experience to appreciate I think, and it has to be completely inaudible to get the right effect.

Haha :p giggle all you like at my accent, but I've never lived in the south so I'm actually northern too xD So yeah, North > South! Hehee...

5. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Nice case,mate. :)

You make me laugh when you say sponge. XD

6. whyte

whyte What's a Dremel?

Very cool project. Really intrigued. If you made a build log with pictures showing how you made your control unit, I would be really interested. :thumb:

7. MattP

MattP What's a Dremel?

Sponge... what's funny about the way I say "sponge", Pranja? xD

Whyte; I may just make a project log of it! I didn't take too many photos, unfortunately, but the ones I did take are quite interesting. I'll look into doing it soon! :)

8. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

I like the project. It's a good one.

How long did building the case itself take you?

And then how long did the little side control center take you?

i think the best part is that the aesthetics don't matter since it'll be stowed away. Although, if it's stowed away somewhere else, I'm not sure why you bothered with the silencing sponge and silk. I guess, it'll neutralise even further any noise.

9. MattP

MattP What's a Dremel?

Further neutralisation was the idea behind going the extra mile - it was worth it too. I'm rendering a video right now, but despite that I can't hear anything except a slight buzzing from one of my monitors. Good stuff!

I'm not sure how long both of these projects took, as I was working on them on and off for a couple of months.

The external unit took longer to build than the case though.

I only had access to a drill, so everything else was done with hand tools (including the large fan holes... nightmare! I spent WAY too long trying to do those by hand).