1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Replacing a laptop screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cthippo, 25 Mar 2014.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I was recently given a pair of laptops, both of which turned out to have broken screens. One is a Celeron based Vista machine which is going in the parts bin, but the other is a decent 17" Toshiba which I'm thinking about repairing. I can get a replacement panel for about $100 on eBay, but I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to do the actual replacement.

The model number is a Toshiba C675D-S7109.

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Very easy.

Use a stanley knife or equivalent to remove the sticky backed covers on the screws in the corners of the screen surround and 2 more along the top row and then unscrew the screws.

Using something soft, unclip the surround.

The screen is probably held on by 4 or 6 screws along the left and right hand sides. Be careful when moving the screen as the webcam cable may be stuck to it.

Unplug the harness and confirm that replacement screen is the same as the old one. When clipping the harness back in, it may be worth sticking it down with electrical tape to make sure it doesn't come unplugged later on.

Screw the replacement screen back in but before you clip the surround back on, boot the laptop up and confirm that the replacement screen is good. If your happy, clip the surround back on, screw the surround screws back in and replace the sticky backed covers.

Edit: Here's a pic of the surround. The 6 holes around the surround can be seen so you can locate the screws if they are a bit hidden.

Cthippo likes this.
  3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I've done a screen replacement before on a laptop and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    Lancers little guide there is pretty good. Chances are you will find a video or in depth guide someone to show you what to do on that particular model.

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I've done a few screen replacements for laptops and there are a variety of guides available online. It's pretty straight forward. If you play guitar, I like using a plastic guitar pick to use to split the front bezel / push the clips.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll put it on my to do list.

6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Yeah its real easy. Iv done about 5 laptop/notebook screen replacements now.
    It can be done in about 15 minutes, stress free really.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I've done 30 or 40, it really is quite easy, in most cases. you get the odd awkward **** but 99% of the time it takes no longer than 15 minutes

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

One i did recently was fun as you couldn't get at the lower screws without removing the screen from the base.

Other than that they are pretty simple.

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've done quite a few - you usually have to dismantle half of the laptop to remove the screen assembly and unplug the panel, but it isn't difficult by any means.