1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Boot Vista/XP in 3-4 Seconds - Heh

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jasio, 13 Nov 2008.

1. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Watch the video first... it's quite entertaining, and definitely an interesting little spin from ASRock. At least they have a sense of humor, and the courage to post this video on YouTube... heh. Enjoy the video first, there's more in-depth info after.

The technique takes advantage of the S3 and S4 features of ACPI, which normally enable the Sleep/Standby and Hibernation modes in Windows respectively. However, by calling them at different times in the boot-up and shutdown process, Instant Boot enables you to boot up to your Windows desktop in three to four seconds, even after a proper shut down.

"When you shutdown, it actually reboots, then right after Windows boots it puts it to sleep or hibernate (S3/S4). When you turn it back on, it wakes it and looks like you "just" booted up.
    Not really a bad idea I suppose - moves the boot time from boot to shutdown, when you are less likely to care. Of course you can get the same effect yourself by rebooting then just putting your machine to sleep when you want to shutdown. Someone could probably even write a simple software solution for this rather than requiring a whole new motherboard."
    -- /.

But hey, as our friend in the video says... WHY NOT! :p

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

thats a crafty way!

Looks like your booting from SSD. Shame Asrock dont supply decent boards in the UK.

3. fev

fev Industry Fallout

george and hugo aren't called george and hugo.

am i the only person who does this without a piece of software doing it for me?

4. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Pretty cool. when i shut my pc down, its normaly when im going to sleep and then i get in from work i want my pc on asap.

But when looking for a new mobo asrock are normaly bottom of my list :p

5. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Alternatively you can just use hibernation and get all your programs back as you left them...

Moriquendi

6. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Yeap, this can be done on the OS level -- not the hardware level. ASRock is probably trying to make it noob friendly. Dell, HP, etc who purchase huge amounts of cheap components and push out $400-600 desktops could probably market this as some kind of "Magic Turbo Juice Instant Power On Fusion Combustion Trans-dimensional Insta-Boot".

Heck, the fact that you're posting here (Bit-Tech) probably puts you into 99.9% in terms of general computer related know-how. So don't underestimate the general consumers stupidity/ability to fall into marketing traps. :geek:

7. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Is everyone else missing the fact that this is probably more of a piss take than an actual thing...?

The fact that its not an advert and pretty much any computer made in the last decade can use a 'sleep' function, says that this is just a funny video of guys messing around in their workshop.

Stop taking it so serious :p

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Tbh I assumed it was a parody until I started reading the replies here, which imply it's a genuine product. I thought they were just making fun of Windows boot times :p

9. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

If you set your power settings in windows to standby after x mins. Then choose restart instead of shutdown, you get exactly the same function!

10. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

so let me get this straight the system reboots then goes into sleep?
    so taht what only the cache in the ram and what not is still drawing power, with your hdd's and cpu etc off.

Doesn't windows sorta already have this feature? I think the only benefit here is it's NOT software dependent and maybe at the bios level has more opprotunities for energy saving (turning off southbridge etc)

11. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Yeah that's the gist of it. By offering it on the hardware level, they bypass any OS level support. It's not some new magical technology, it's been around for awhile, and it makes sense.

I mean when you turn off your PC and wander away to bed, who cares if it actually reboots and just sleeps? It's like a prolonged "shut down" and nothing more. But when you wake up and want to get your PC going ASAP -- this is an easy way to do that using techniques that have been around for awhile. Be it hardware, or software -- or doing it manually.

Tags: