1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards A good Z97 board for 3x crossfire R9 290s

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mark_Skeldon, 6 Jul 2014.

1. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted, but I was looking for some general advice.

I've got 20x R9 290s and 2x R9 280Xs from a Scrypt mining farm I'm thinking about shutting down.
    I run the 280Xs in my desktop with the hardware in my sig below.

What I'd like to do is hang onto the three best samples of the R9 290s to run in crossfire in my desktop and ditch the 280Xs. PSU isn't a problem as I'll use one of the Enermax Platimax 1500's or one of the EVGA1350's that I've got throughout the farm.

My question is: What Z97 board will be best for three way crossfire? I'd like to stay away from 2011 for now and go with Devils Canyon.

I'd be happy to hear peoples thoughts :D

BTW at present this all pushes 1080p max games on a Samsung 55" ES8000, but soon I'll be swapping out to a 55" 4K display, hence the three 290s! :rock:

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just find one with a PEX/PLX chip, as there are only a handful available and all fairly similarly highend it shouldn't be a problem choosing :)

3. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

From my research these should be adequate, so you might want to do some research on these boards:
    ASRock Extreme9
    ASUS Z97-WS
    EVGA Z97 Classified
    GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming GT
    GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming G1
    MSI Z97 XPOWER AC

Tags: