1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News British eSports Association opens its doors

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Jul 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. bowman

bowman Minimodder

British eSports, a bit like Chinese basketball.

I mean, it is odd how few top Brits there are in eSport. Last noteworthy team I remember is 4Kings, from CS 1.6.

3. Ahadihunter1

Ahadihunter1 What's a Dremel?

Better aim high. XD

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I guess I'll have to set up my own Northern Irish eSports Association myself then, if we are to cover the whole of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Its not really odd at all, Our culture still sees Video games as a bad thing, People frown on it as a bad thing.

In the likes of Korea the biggest Esport Players are Gods, Hugely respected and very well paid.

It will take a change of culture to fix that in this country.

League of Legends tried they brought Worlds here and sold out the arena every day it ran. There is alot of fans of the game in this country.

6. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Personally I'm now squarely against 'professional' esports. Once money gets involved it all gets very ugly IMHO.

7. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Maybe they are anticipating a UK split up and don't want to go through the hasle later of splitting up their org.
    What catchy name would a UK split up have btw? UKrash? I'm not good at this. Breaksit? Nope, not my talent.

8. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Any particular reason why? Going pro and playing games as a job is the fastest way to make them a dead boring grind instead of the fun you had when you started playing, but the BBC3 documentary covered the subject well enough.

However it all depends on the game, if you're that good at X game and it's taken thousands of hours to get there, why not have something proper to show for it apart from a digital hat?

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Very few games have the financial backing to go pro in only that game.

Outside of counter strike, Starcraft 2, Dota and LoL the money to be earned is very poor

Smash bros the next biggest Esport title had a prize of $8000 for first in the last tornament. Street fighter was just as bad.

You can not go pro in driving games and rts titles are dominated by Koreans and Chinese players.