1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Otus

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by davido_labido, 19 Jun 2015.

1. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

[​IMG]

Well its time for another build!! This time I will be using the Phobya WaCoolT White OWL Case. This is a new case from Phobya so it will be interesting to see what I can do with it!

As per usual, I don't have much time with this build, it needs to be done before the end of August for I55!! Before we get cracking though, I do need to say a massive thank you to Pascal and Antony! A shout out to JR23 and Jamie too for help with the graphics side of things :p

So, without further to do, the case!!

This case was actually designed and made with help from the community, Phobya took the ideas and created this!

[​IMG]

Now, it is a rather strange looking case i admit, and when i only saw the black version i wasnt too taken by it. Once i actually recieved the white one though, i much prefer it. Pictures dont do it justice tbh.

[​IMG]

drive bays are far less common in cases lately as a lot of people have stopped using disk drives and the only real use for them are fan controllers. This case can hold up to 8 fans straight out of the box, so i will be using a decent fan controller (or two) to ensure they are all quiet, so im glad we have some bays!

[​IMG]

The back of the case has 4 grommits for if you want to add any external water cooling, im not sure why you would need to as there is plenty of space in the case!!

[​IMG]

speaking of inside the case:

[​IMG]

As you can see, there is loads of room!!

there is space for HDDs just above the drive bays, this little hdd case is actually on rubber grommets to stop the drives from vibrating which is a nice little touch.

[​IMG]

for watercooling i have a lot of options, down the bottom we have native support for a 360 or 420 rad

[​IMG]

and in the top of the case we have support for 480 or lower rads, including 200mm rads!

[​IMG]

and at the back, you could bang another 120mm if needed!

[​IMG]

another nice addition is this nice little pump mount, again with rubber grommets to stop the vibration

[​IMG]

So, thats the case! what do you guys think of it? A lot of people i have spoken to either love it or hate it, there is no real in between.

Im just waiting on some more hardware, and then we can get stuck into the build properly, i want to do quite a subtle build, lots of whites, greys and blacks, but I think I might add some orange, because.... davido_labido.

2. colinmcr

colinmcr What's a Dremel?

Very interesting case design will be subbing this as always Dave. :rock:

3. davido_labido

Thanks Colin!!

Now, without further to do, lets see what my awesome sponsors have sent me for this build shall we?!

The first 2 that I'm going to show are MSI a new sponsor for me although I have been talking to them for around 12 months waiting to do a build with them for a while, and have attended many events with these guys, they are pretty awesome!!!

Also, HyperX. I'm pretty sure anyone who has seen one of my build logs before knows that I LOVE LOVE LOVE these guys and gals. They help me out all the time and the people are great! If I could choose a company to work for... it would be HyperX!

So:

[​IMG]

MSI will be providing the motherboard for this build. They sent me the X99 A SLI Krait Edition with USB 3.1 :D

[​IMG]

This board matches the build colour perfectly!

[​IMG]

I'm sure i can add some orange easily if I do decide to pop a little bit of colour into this...

[​IMG]

This will be my second experience with X99, Nom Nom Nom

[​IMG]

Plenty of sata ports on this board, always great to see!

[​IMG]

For all you M.2 lovers, this has a front slot.

[​IMG]

and now for

[​IMG]

These guys have been awesome and sent me the following Savage SSDs and also their new Predator DDR4 (click the links for more information on these as they have some great specs!)

So, HyperX sent me 2 SSDs, both are the same drives, but one comes with a great little adapter and case to enable you to run any SSD drive from USB. This is awesome for me as it means i can keep all my games on one drive and just move them between computers!

[​IMG]

These have an updated design from the 3k series, but still have the prominent X we all love ;)

[​IMG].

This is the case that came with one of the drives.

[​IMG]

Its as simple as putting the SSD into it....

[​IMG]

then locking it using the little switch on the back. It comes with a USB cable and its plug and play! Winner!

[​IMG]

HyperX also sent me this ram.... NOM NOM NOM!!!!

[​IMG]

When I get a silly amount of ram, i like to make spiral staircases with it....

[​IMG]

So what happens when we put MSI and HyperX together?!

[​IMG]

It's a match made in heaven!

[​IMG]

There is something about 8 sticks of ram that just make things look... beastly.

[​IMG]

I will leave you with this one last picture, if I get time I will show some more sponsor products tomorrow!

[​IMG]

4. davido_labido

Well, I have been working away a lot and doing a few events, so I haven't been at home long enough to do any updates!! I do however have LOAAADS more products and stuff from my awesome sponsors and I have a few hours before i have to head out the door again so I thought I best show off a little bit more!

So first up, a huge thanks to be quiet! for supplying me with the fans and PSU for this build!

[​IMG]

I actually got an email from be quiet! a long time before I knew I was going to be doing this project asking if I would like to use their products. I have already got a lot of fans from them, and I've also used their PSU's in the past, so it really wasn't a hard decision to make!!

be quiet! have been very generous and sent me this:

[​IMG]

I have actually been sitting on this package for some time, and I got the PSU the same day as it was released!! :eek:!

[​IMG]

It's a beasty! 1200w platinum rated with one of their Silent Wings fans to keep it cool and quiet.

[​IMG]

I certainly dont think I will be running out of connections for this build, there are plenty of connectors, I do particuarly like the idea of running the fans of the headers they provide, I have never used a PSU that does this, so it will be interesting.

[​IMG]

the rear of the PSU has a rubber gasket surrounding it. This will, of course,reduce any vibration that the fan might make from getting to the chassis and making any noise. It wouldn't be be quiet! if it wasn't silent!

http://s3.postimg.org/e5jashzz7/IMG_7065.jpg

The PSU comes with a lot of accessories, and i mean a lot. its got 2 sets of screws, valcro cable ties, the usual box of modular cables, but then it has fan cables, an OCK jumper and an OCK bracket with a switch

[​IMG]

For the fans I went for Pure Wings 2 from be quiet!

[​IMG]

I think everyone has used be quiet! fans one way or another and they really are decent fans, especially for how little noise they make. I have never actually used the Pure Wings 2, however I have used the Shadow Wings before and if these perform at a similar rate I will be very happy.

[​IMG]

As you can see I have gone for 120mm fans and a lot of them (10), I no doubt will hook them up to a fan controller rather than direct to the PSU just to give me some more control over them, I doubt I will need to have all 10 running at 100%, so I will be able to have a rather quiet PC this time round :D

[​IMG]

The fans are rather sleek with the usual black on black that be quiet! love to use. I'm not going to go crazy on the pictures for these as you will see a lot of them when I'm doing the radiators ;)

[​IMG]

So, that's be quiet!, again a huge thank you to them for supporting me!

5. davido_labido

well, I just realised I never updated this thread!!!

well, what happened was I dislocated my thumb and I was in a cast for 2 months... TastyPC was meant to be doing a build for Alphacool, so mine wasn't needed as much, so I was going to put it off until my hand was better. Unfortunately, the day before the event, Lauren (TastyPC) said she wasn't going to be able to finish her build, so I got a panicked phone call to see if I would be able to finish my build... in 30 hours.. (including travel, sleeping and everything else I needed to do!!)

This is what the build looked like when I got the messages:

[​IMG]

I had literally only just fitted the motherboard and RAM blocks. oops!

So, I got to work. the biggest problem I had was my hand looked like this:

[​IMG]

As you can see, my right hand was FUBAR so I had to call on my friend Confused (Gary) to see if he could come round and do my grunt work (mainly cutting the tubing as I couldn't hold the saw!) whilst I pointed at things, told him what I wanted to happen and generally made a fool of myself trying to screw things in with my mouth :D

In the end, with a lot of panic and very little sleep (setting the alarm for 3 hours was not fun) I managed to cobble something together for the show stand. It wasn't great, but it actually garnered A LOT of attention and Alphacool were VERY happy (to my amazement!)

This is what it looked like at the event....
    (thanks to bit-tech for this picture)

[​IMG]

So, once I had got it home, I needed to sort out some extra bits and bobs for it, and just tidy it up a little ready for some better photos... I was just going through my server and found them all :D

so... Here goes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, that is pretty much it!!! I have changed a few other little bits and bobs, but nothing worth noting really! Thanks again to my awesome sponsors, mainly for understanding when I had my accident and being so patient with me. Also a thank you for Gary (confused) for always lending me a hand when I am against a tight dead line and need some help!

Cheers folks!

6. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

I can't help but think it has the shape of a hyper-inhaling Mac G5...:lol:
    Joking, it's a marvel!
    Waiting updates (if the thumb is OK...sending healing vibes....)
    Ciao

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You just confirmed that opposable thumbs are not needed to assemble a nice rig.:thumb: