1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant People who can't park

Discussion in 'General' started by legoman, 28 Apr 2015.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

/rant

WHY! I honestly do not get people who cannot park. Went to my car last night and again when I got in there was a warning saying the alarm had been triggered, got out bang rear left wheel arch nice new scrape mark. No idea who did it there were no cars near mine when I came out (gone home of off to find something else to hit probably). Now i caught someones car years ago bearly left a mark on either cars but I went into the office i worked in at the time and sent a mail out asking for the owner to contact me, they did and it was all fine they actually were waiting for a bodyshop to pick it up for some reason or other.

Why cant people park properly anymore? OK i have a large estate but it fits in bays well enough and I park properly. When i got the car last year it had one scuff under the front bumper. Now i have the wheel arch, both rear quaters, one that runs along both passenger side doors and a cracked front bumper, scraped wing, some red paint on my rear bumper and god knows how many scratches and door marks. All from works car park its a joke.
    Its like people either no longer care or just have no concept of how big their cars are anymore :wallbash:

You see it in supermarkets all the time someone cant be bothered to take a trolley back so they leave it or to stop it rolling off the put it against someone elses car but if you did the same to them they would rip your head off. Really do not understand people. Even had the scraping thing with my bike on Friday. Nice new shiney bike locked up, happened to walk past the window some irk leaning against it having a *** talking to someone else so i charge out there tell him to get off it ended up having to basically shove him off it, lowe an behold paint taken off to the metal and carbon all i get is some half hearted apology in spanish and a lot of dirty looks. Tried to report it but thier "guests" so nothing will be done :miffed: giving up and tboning someones car for the space in the carpark is now looking like a sensible option.

rant/

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

People don't give a crap to be honest, if they don't care about their car they aren't going to care about yours.

My cars pretty ropey externally now but even so I always try and park my car in an end slot tight against a kerb stone to allow maximum space between me and the next car, more so my kids don't inadvertently bash my doors into someone else's cars.

I also try to avoid parking next to cars that look like they have been in a demolition derby.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm convinced parking sensors/aids are the cause for a lack of parking skill.

People seem to be so reliant on the beeps telling them when to stop they don't actually look.

Add to that the fact that people give no shits about anything not theirs. I watched a guy (I was walking back to my car) open his door into mine a few weeks back. It wasn't until his fat carcass got into his car that he scratched mine. I got to the door as he was shutting his and he didn't bat an eye. Returned the favour and I got a middle finger. Felt like punching him in the throat.

4. shindead

shindead What's a Dremel?

I have just recently passed my test and I cannot park for sh*t :( I just wasn't taught what so ever in lessons.... So I take it I have to work it out myself?

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Wait, what?

In my lessons I had reverse bay parks, parallel parks, forward bay parks and so on drilled into me until I could do them in my sleep!

That said, I can't parallel park any more. I do one every other month at most, and usually cock it up and end up a mile from the curb.

6. shindead

in lessons you learn how to do VERY simple parking maneuvers that require little to no effort. In the real world this way of parking is irrelevant from what I have seen so far.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I can remember having full lessons dedicated to reversing/parking. How did you pass your test?

Parking sensors are great, I love them, but they are not a substitute for your eyeballs. They are supposed to assist parking, not absolve you of any responsibility.

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I have two dents on the rear drivers side door, right on the crease line from people opening their door onto it.
    Not another mark or scratch on the car, but due to other peoples carelessness I either have to pay to get it fixed or live with it.

As for parking, it seems to be a lost art.

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Ive come to the conclusion people just dont care.

And whats happened to being taught to park! Im with Spreadie we used to have lessons of just doing it over and over. Reverse into a bay, forward into this one, parralel park here etc. He used to go out with a pair of traffic cones and deliberatly put them close and make me park in the gaps.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Please, do tell! I've been trying to teach my wife how to park for the last few weeks.

Similar rant:

During the first month of my current car ownership, I had parked normally in my bay at work, didn't pay any mind to the red car next to me who was a bit close to the edge of the parking bay thus a bit close to my car. Both car's driver sides are on the other side.

Since then, my car has a red dent on the passenger side. Obviously the person thought it's important for them to access their passenger side and force the door into my car, possibly due to a fat person trying to slide in. It's not a normal door chip, it's an actual dent.

My previous car has numerous small chips along each side from parking in the same. The flat I lived in when I first started work was the worst, I've actually heard the metal hitting metal noise when a woman opening her door and hitting another car. Unsurprisingly, the flat has low rent and most of the cars were worst/cheaper than my 7 year old Volvo.

People don't give a rat's arse for anything that doesn't affect them financially. It's unfortunate, but it's it's true. This is why although I can afford a newish car, I wouldn't buy it.

11. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Don't start me in that one. I'm known to leave notes on people's cars. Leaving on there windscreen wipers calling them names and offering driving lessons

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Well, I'd agree in principle but it's not all people, only the twunts who don't give a sh!t about other people's property.

Sounds like it's worse for people in bigger cities; whilst there are some right muppets in our city who should IMO be forced to resit the test, there isn't a big problem with people scraping other cars just to get into or out of a space.

In a few years when I get my Audi, I'll report back. :D

13. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Parking spaces next to the motorcycle bay is where I often find the worst drivers imaginable... I can't count on my hands how many times I've come back from the shop to find that someone has clipped my bike or completely knocked it over.

If you can't navigate into an empty space next to where motorcycles have been parked, in an area where there's usually at least 40% more room to manoeuvre, then you shouldn't be allowed to drive.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

We used to watch the woman across the road when she was parking. She would reverse into a space and keep going until she hit the car behind, straighten the wheel and move forward and until she hit that car and then settled somewhere in between. She didn't smash into them, but she wasn't so gentle as to be described as "touch-parking".

Thankfully, she moved about 18 months ago.

15. GMC

GMC Minimodder

That seemed to be the norm where I used to live. Couldn't go a week without a scraped bumper.

Always park next to someone that managed to reverse into their space at least they've demonstrated a rudimentary understanding of the track the 4 wheels follow when turning...

16. shindead

I don't think the tests are hard what so ever, any maneuver that you are required to do in terms of parking is soooo simple as there are no obstacles in the way. You get taught how to pass the test and not how to drive in the real world. Apparently you learn more in your first year passed then you do in any lessons that you have had.

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Parking, dead easy, and no one scratches my motor.

[​IMG]

Piffle, I don't give a crap about my car, and whilst I don't give a crap about yours it does not mean I'll open my door into it

18. Xir

Xir Modder

I have a little book from my grandparents, from the fifties, for American servicemen in Germany.

It's called "Don't bump the bumper" :D

It describes exactly what you described above, appearently this used to be a normal american way of parking (and that in the age of chrome bumpers???)

I mean, the french STILL park this way...but hey, they're French :D I don't think there's a single unscratched car in all of France.
    And the Germans ARE rather special when it comes to cars.

19. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Says the guy in the disabled bay?

Funny how you don't care about your car but park it like that to avoid getting scratches..

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Meh, disabled guy wasn't in.
    And that's not why I was parked like that