1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows AV Software ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by stormbringer500, 5 May 2015.

1. stormbringer500

stormbringer500 What's a Dremel?

Hi there just re-installed windows and wondering if paid antivirus software is worth it or does the free versions do exactly the same job, I have currently been using Avast free but have been thinking about Avast Internet Security just not sure whether it is worth it, a friend also recommended ESET Smart Security but seems a bit steep in price.

2. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome I go to 11

3. TheJackal

TheJackal Getting Old

i use bitdefender always been solid for me and can be picked up pretty cheap if u know wgere to shop

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you can live with the odd notification bar pro-version ad popup the free version of Avira has been good for me. The protection is meant to be solid too. It's also pleasingly low profile and intrusive.

I tried the proper full version of Kaspersky and while it might offer a very high level of protection the actual experience was horrible.
    It has so many features, plugins and restrictions that interfere with browsing and generally using the computer the way I want to. The last straw was the browser plugin breaking the last step in checkout process for a holiday :miffed:

At some point I might willing to pay for AV though, as I think it's probably worth doing for the relatively small outlay. Although like I said, I sometimes prefer the minimal nature of the limited free versions irrespective of price.

I might even just pay for Avira since I like the free version.

Does anyone have any experience buy AV activation keys through ebay/Amazon?
    They tend to be a lot cheaper than buy/upgrading direct.

6. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome I go to 11

7. stormbringer500

stormbringer500 What's a Dremel?

I didn't realize you could get keys on ebay just checked and 2 year licence for avast just over £8.

8. TheJackal

TheJackal Getting Old

i pickmy keys up from g2a marketplace no problems :)

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I use the free version of Avast. Between that and avoiding dodgy sites, I honestly can't remember the last time my computer was infected by anything.

10. Ronaldo 9

Ronaldo 9 Minimodder

I use 360 Total Security Essentials. It's free and it's really good. It used to be called 360 Internet Security.

It scores very well in AV Comparatives test and I can wholly recommend it.

11. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Avast or AVG, both great. Both have free versions

12. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

Recently deployed Avira onto a bunch of machines.

Great AV really lightweight in use. Bear in mind though it massively increases boot times on HDD's. Like literally until it starts you won't be able to do anything really, and we are talking like 30 seconds.

Still it has one of the best detection rates and its free, I didn't notice a single ad once I had turned them off either. So can't really complain too much.

@WolfTicket - Back when KIS was still usable I used to get the keys from Amazon. You used to be able to buy keys for one or two revisions older and use them with the new versions as well. Sometimes gettings around a £30 reduction on the official sites. Never had an issue. You need to be a bit more careful with ebay though, some sellers just email you a key and you've no way to tell if in 3 months they'll sell that same key again to another user thus invalidating your product and by that time its too late for you to make a claim.

13. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Avast here.