1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Size of display... 24" or 23.6"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jazzzyj, 11 May 2012.

1. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

Ok,

So I'm looking for a monitor to replace my slightly ageing 19" acer monitor.
    I wan't something big, but not too expensive so I'm looking around the 23"-24" size for £100 - £150 ish.

Something has puzzled me. Why do some brands, ie Benq, sell their screen as 24" and others, such as Samsung, sell them as 23.6".

Are they actually different in size, or is it just marketing?

If you have any suggestions, it must be about the size above, HDMI input and LED backlit. Doesn't need built in speakers!

Thanks

-J

2. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

Might be worth looking at Goodbytes sticky http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=218867 lots of useful information there.

3. lava

lava Minimodder

I'm not sure if this applies to all monitors but mine is a 23.6" but I think it's on a 24" panel. I have to overscan to get it too fill the screen. This might just be due the model I have (hans g tn panel) or it could be the same on quite a few. I could do with finding out as well :thumb:

4. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Neither, get a 27.

5. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

:hehe: I don't think I can get one for the budget I mentioned.
    It would make sense if they were different panel types.

Thanks for the link too, that helps a bit, but doesn't answer my size question.
    -J

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

23.6 is 16:9
    24" is 16:10

Get the real thing 24"

7. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

24" 16:10 all the way! 1920x1200 is stunning and not overly taxing on the GPU! :D

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Ehm. What he talks about is that there are :
    23.6" 16:9 1920x1080
    24" 16:9 1920x1080
    24" 16:10 1920x1200

And the answer is - sometimes it is rounding (23.6" doesn't sound as nice as 24"), sometimes it is really a bit bigger display - check the visible display size in centimeters to be sure.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

While I never measured the monitor (so I could be wrong), I am pretty sure that, a 24inch 16:9 monitor, is really a 23.6inch, by following the logic that the distance between each pixel is the same on each direction, and the pixels are perfect squares.

24inch for a 16:10 monitor, is real 24inch.

10. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

Is there a considerable improvement in 1920x1200 vs. 1920x1080?
    Would have a 16:10 ratio make it annoying for full HD movies?

11. GoodBytes

If you are doing work on your computer, at any level, 1920x1200 is very welcome. If if it's just for playing games and movies, then it's not beneficial to you. The extra space give you more work area not lost by tool bars, ribbon bars, menu bars, taskbar, and such, basically you don't feel like if you are tight in a box, trying to work.

Old or budget TN panel a big yes, as you see back light bleeding at the top and/or bottom.
    But on anything better, especially with a IPS panel, even entry level ones, it will look like real black, so as you watch your movie, even at night, you won't notice it, and you'll feel like if it's part of the monitor frame, and just not focus on it. This is mostly that it will be really black, so it doesn't pull any attention.. and even during the day it's not a problem at all.

Also, most movies are 21:9 or some other higher aspect ratio.. which ever the director chooses to film (show more the background, or more details up close, art reasons, etc...) So,. most movies will already have thick black lines at the top and bottom.

Nazata likes this.
  12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

For £100 to £150 you wont get 16:10 panel worth buying. Or even one at all. Resign yourself to 16:9. NOT a fate worse than death like some here would have you believe.

Look to the £150 end and you will find there are a few monitors worth obtaining. Naturally I only speak of IPS screens. TN is dirty and should be shunned....unless it a 120Hz screen.

13. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

That sounds right. Although I have seen the 24" screens say they have a slightly higher dot pitch, I don't think it will make much difference.

I think in my budget I will be looking at a 16:9 screen anyway.

-J

14. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

Well, I think I will be going for This one from acer. Seems to have all I want for a good price.
    -J

15. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Or this? IPS panel rather than TN which should give better colour accuracy etc.

16. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

And its even cheaper here

17. noizdaemon666

They're both £128.99 :confused: Or am I missing something? lol

18. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

So that is an IPS screen rather than a TN screen. Am I going to miss the extra inch with the better tech? and whats to say this isnt a pants IPS, and I would be better off with the larger TN screen.
    -J

19. noizdaemon666

It isn't a pants IPS lol It's basically the same as the one I have and they're very good, much better than TN panels in the same price bracket. Also, no I doubt you'd miss the extra inch, given it's all going to be the same resolution so same amount of actual space to use on screen.

20. GoodBytes

The monitor is an entry level IPS panel, in a budget class stands, and housing. This is what I can tell you... you won't have a limited view angle, so that no mater how you sit, or how you position the screen, you'll see the same great image. The image quality should be better than the Acer TN. Is it better than a high-end TN panel (which the Acer clearly isn't), that I don't know... but at WORST, the IPS panel should be the same as one.

Also, if you look at the Acer model, you'll have a big external brick to manage for the power, let a lone proprietary.. so if the plug breaks or something.. too bad. And also the plugs aren't horizontally positions, so that means you won't see a 1inch+ white ugly thing coming out of the back of the monitor, like a tumor.

Also the LG one can be VESA mounted. And both monitors are the exact same resolutions. All I can think off, is that you won't get sharp text on the Acer 24inch. Remember it's not really the screen size that maters (unless it's 11inch at 1920x1080.. then OK.. but that's something different), it's the resolution.