1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vatican blasts "Golden Compass" as Godless and hopeless

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 20 Dec 2007.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Original story

I always wonder if some day there isn't going to be a scandal when it comes to light that a studio has bribed some religious group to be publically outraged.

2. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

Errrrr... Why the big fuss over a fantasy world I'm confused...

3. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Well, erm... What is there to say?? I quote my sig.

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

You read a lot of news.

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

The film was absolutely atrocious. Every role was overacted, even Ian McKellen, which I thought was shocking.

The girl who played Lyra made me cringe every time she spoke, as did the lad who played Roger (even though I should feel some sympathy towards him as he's from here in Brentwood)

The Books, however, are fantastic. The very idea that Parallel universes collide, and one man is setting out on a war against God, is fantastic, as is Pullman's distinctive writing style.

This is the church's problem - they are still of a mind that people are sheep, and cannot distinguish between fantasy and reality. I'm surprised that they didn't go to town on Jurassic Park crying that it was heresy to play god and recreate life.

I'm not going any further, as I don't want a religious debate - suffice to say you should all read the books and avoid the movie like the plague.

6. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

I wasn't very impressed with the movie and probably wouldn't have seen it unless there wasn't all of the fuss about it. However, I picked up the books and they are excellent. I'm in the middle of the last book in the trilogy now.

All of these idiots trying to boycott the movie are only bringing more attention to it and making more people see it.

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

:rolleyes:
    The Vatican speaking out against a fantasy movie. In my opinion, in the news world that ranks about as high as Jamie Lynn Spears getting pregnant.

-monkey

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

But helping HIV spread is A-OK.

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Yessir. God works in mysterious ways.

The film was turd, and the religious element was hopelessly simplified and downtrodden. I'm forcing everyone I know to read the books before they see the film, so they can see how low it's stooped.

Incidentally, dunno about anyone else, but I'm getting tired of the Vatican being outraged at everything. It's getting about time they shut up and got over the fact that the whole world doesn't lick their shoes...

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Hold on a minute. The Christian faith is based upon a book, which states to be tolerant of other peoples beliefs. The Golden Compass is a book, not a faith or religion, just a story.

Stupid ****ing christian leaders.

11. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Bloody heck, this kind of story just annoys me. Let's see: it's a fictional novel, you know, NOT REAL! I wish the Vatican/[other religious denominations that strike out against fiction] would get that. Using their logic, why don't they go complain about Robocop, it would be a gazillion times worse! Argh!!:wallbash:

/rant

12. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

This 'book' is a recording of history, Christianity has been around much longer than the bible.

Back on topic: This is like saying the same about the Narnia books or the lord of the rings its stupid, they are fiction and should be dealt as so.

13. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Well they do have a habbit of thinking fiction is real :rolleyes:

Why wasn't there an outcry when this was a book, are they happy with the book and not the film?

14. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

It could be because the film is so bad. :p

15. Cthippo

Because sheep don't read books, they do however go to movies.

16. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

No... He just posts it. All of it.

Hit the serious tab, its like Cthippo's own little section! :eyebrow:

He's actually in my ignore list, but the topics still appear. Too much America for my taste :hehe:

Oh and the book that the film is about is very much about atheism, but the book is just a book. Films are considered far more mainstream. They probably got annoyed over that.

17. Cthippo

The reason that so much of what I post is US related is that while I have a fairly good grasp on north American politics and culture, I don't have a similar grasp on the UK and so I can't differentiate what is significant and what is fluff. News without context is, well, pretty much useless.

And you, and everyone else for that matter, are free to post to this section. I'm not a moderator and have no monopoly on the serious tab.

18. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

But no-one else can be bothered.
    I like his contribution, breaks up the time between the 'look at this video' threads and the "isn't this stupid' threads.

19. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Yea, true I suppose. I just find it a bit... (searching internal brain filing cabinet for word) ...tedious. But that is what the ignore list is for, and it's nothing against Cthippo as a person, I just don't want to see any more news (American or otherwise) than we get pumped with already through more traditional outlets.

Looking down the serious list, the majority of threads do go untouched possibly indicating that more thought needs to be taken. About 25ish of the 40 that are listed on page one are Cthippos, and about half of them (possibly more) are neglected. At only 1 or two replies. I Just think that this is what sites like Digg and Reddit are for.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2007
  20. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Gah, people read far too much into fiction :) (excuse the pun!)

The film wasn't great anyway, the boooks are way better.