1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors £1000 car for short commute

Discussion in 'General' started by Ljs, 19 Aug 2014.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Sorry - another car thread.

Just started a new job that is only 2 miles so no need to catch trains anymore! :D

While the weather is nice(ish) I don't mind walking/cycling/getting a bus partway but when the weather turns I'd like a motor just to get me there dry.

The possibilities on any budget are almost mind boggling but I set myself quite a low one because I'm saving my ass off and have other priorities. I am unashamedly a bit of a tart so would prefer something that looks nice.

MPG is not a major priority with such a short run, but large engine cars don't seem to hold any value (not that is a major issue on such a small budget). I'd like not to have to spend silly money should something breaks. Tax is expensive on all older cars and there doesn't seem to be much difference in insurance costs between cars now I'm in my thirties.

Options so far:

Alfa 147 (nice looking, bit of a wildcard)
    Ford Puma (decent but starting to look dated)
    Hyundai Coupe MK2 (can be had for cheap)

MGBGT (if I can get hold of one)
    Triumph Spitfire (if I can get hold of one)

RX8 (Scared it will break)
    Z3 (not as good as a MX5 and expensive to repair)

I do like MX-5s but they hold value well and I don't like the MK1 (sorry). I like classic cars and can tinker around with them (my father is decent under the bonnet and is close). Not going to buy for at least a month, just weighing the options.

There also is the lingering possibility that I will only own it 12 months or so and then perhaps trade up.

Opinions/experience welcomed please!

Last edited: 19 Aug 2014
  2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Bag of sand is close to shonkernomics territory.
    Buy owt with 12 months tax and ticket, drive it, if it breaks throw it away.

Or just buy a brolly

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

RX8 or Z3 for £1k sounds like a lot of trouble to me. I can't believe you can even find a RX8 for £1k, unless it's at a breakers yard.

Ford Puma, check for rot underneath the wheel arches, seems to be a favourite place for Fords to rust away.
    Neighbours got a Mondeo ST200 that's arch lip is made of duct tape now, has been for a year. He can't bear to sell it as he got it cheap and it's so much car for not much cost.

Applying Top Gear logic (awaits flaming), an Alfa for £1k can't be that great either, :D

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Why pay the cost of tax, insurance and fuel for a 2 mile journey though? Walk or cycle, save the money and stay in shape!

If you are insistent, I agree with mrlongbeard, for such a small journey, get a small petrol engine that you like the look of and just make sure you look after it.

Punto's
    Corsa's
    Polo's
    Golf's (mk4's can be had for under 1k now)

Easy car's to DIY maintain

5. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

£1k RX8s do exist, just don't expect them to be able to start when hot. The one in the second link says its ok at the mo but it will become an issue at a later date.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-MAZD...0760486?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1e8f27ab26

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-MAZD...6998506?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item339409bdea

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-MAZD...4619666?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4d22b2b812

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I Googled 'shonkernomics' incase it was some kind of variant of bangernomics I was unaware of and the only other place it appeared on the internet had quite a familiar username. :lol:

Meh, the difference in what you can buy for around a grand is astonishing. I may seem to be being unreasonable but I don't feel it's impossible. Nice older car > mild work >job done.

RX8s are worth peanuts now - no one appears to want to touch them. Seen a few Z3s in not bad looking condition, just old.

Alfa 147s seem to be the bargain area of the market for a while. I'd only touch one if it had decent history and all the major servicing bits done (although this applys with any car).

7. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Indeed. Almost seems worth while getting the best I can for as cheap as possible, hoping it holds out for a year and then sell for scrap.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

2 miles commute?

Just walk.

100% Free, 100% Reliable.

9. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Well it's Summer now *looks out of window* and is pissing it down. I'm not really a fan of sitting round in a wet suit all day.

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

:D Yup, my pet name for bangernomics.

If you read the thread it kind of hints at the problems you'll face, buy a cheap car and you'll need to set a point at which you stop spending money on it as it become no longer financially viable.
    Problem is the more you spend the less there is to go wrong (theoretically) and you get trapped spending more and more and more

Oh, I know, I normally buy @ £2k, but then I'm doing 25k miles a year and I drive my cars into the ground

11. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I usually by a decent but low powered BMW for 1k or less and run them into the ground. Only use BMW as I am allergic to FWD cars and need 4 doors. Never had a crap one yet. Dickheads dont want the low pwered ones to belt around in and they are decent engines.

12. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

What about a little ford Ka? I bet they are dirt cheap to run and insure?

13. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Sitting around all day in a sopping wet suit seems more appealing. :D

14. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Second Class ride is better than a first class walk :D Besides with the low miles you will be doing you won't lose much in value. And it's a lot easier to sell on a Ka than a sporty car.

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

16. maple

maple Minimodder

How come the RX8's are so cheap?

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

18. Ljs

Ljs Modder

:thumb:

That did make me laugh.

That's exactly what I was thinking for a few miles to cruise work and around town doing bits. I've seen a number of Z3s for under a grand.

The market as a whole favours economical cars, an RX8 is not economical at all. Throw in the fact that a new engine or rebuild isn't cheap and will more than likely be on the cards (I'm no expert, don't really know much about them) and they suddenly aren't appealing. It's a shame - would be nice to just stick a VAG engine in it for a cheap, economical nice looking car but I can't imagine it would be easy.

19. Ljs

Ljs Modder

20. veato

veato I should be working

A search for coupes shows a lot of Hyundais and (surprisingly) RX-8s for the money. Also....

Megane Coupe - 2002 - 78k
    Peugeot 406 V6 Coupe - 1999 - 81k

I really like the look of that shape Peugeot and would be happy with an unmolested V6.