1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU 20+8pin to 24 pin mod problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by diegobrego, 9 Jan 2017.

1. diegobrego

diegobrego What's a Dremel?

Hello guys!

I´m making my first case mod, thing is i have a fully modular PSU (be quiet 650W).

I want to make my own individually sleeved cables, but i found a problem, 28 cables come out of the 24pin connector, now i want to ask if there is any way to remove or hide the cables, or some type of sleeving the pins with to cables into 1 single cable.

I hope you understand what i mean with this. I also found a picture with maybe a solution, on the picture 2 cables are joined to make 1 cable to fit the 24pin connector, is it ok to make this? does it matter where i make this type of connection (nearer the psu or mainboard)? i have some pictures to show you what i mean.

2. diegobrego

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

They are required as they give feedback to the PSU as far as I know. If you want to hide them, make the split nearer to the PSU and run just a single cable to the 24 pin. :)

Make absolutely sure that you wire the pins up correctly, or you'll fry your board and possibly other components.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If you can hide the bit where the cables connect to the PSU then the best way to deal with that is to make a small adapter with the 28 wires criss crossing and spliced where necessary and make it around 100mm long and then make a normal 24 to 24 adapter to connect to that.

Something like this for the small 100mm adapter

[​IMG]

Edit: Ninja'd

5. diegobrego

Thanks a lot, you just answered my questions :thumb: have a nice day!

6. diegobrego

Made my own extension, before and after. turned out a bit longer then i thought, but it doesnt matter, i like it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Big Elf

Those images aren't viewable.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2017
  8. diegobrego

How about now?

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

9. Big Elf

Both visible now. That's not bad.

You can get better looking splices with paracord (and PET) by cutting the end of the sleeve for the dual wires in a 'V' and notching them together where they meet.

Stick them down with a dab of superglue then use a small piece of heatshrink (around 6mm diameter) over the dual wires/sleeve then cover the whole lot in slightly thicker (around 12mm diameter) heatshrink which helps hide the bumps.

Heating both sets of heatshrink also tends to melt the underlying sleeve (works better with PET) as well which also helps smooth down the bumps. Using superglue means you can use shorter lengths of heatshrink than you'd normally require to hold paracord in place for a better visual effect.

I know it's likely to be hidden but it's good for practice as well as satisfaction.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2017
  10. diegobrego

Thanks a lot, that sounds really good, maybe i´ll remake the dual wires, but im sure im going to use your advice if im going to make a other mod, thanks a lot again for your advice :thumb::rock:

11. Big Elf

I've just clarified what I meant by the 6mm and 12mm heatshrink in my earlier post. It was the approximate diameter of each rather than the length. You'll need to stretch the 6mm diameter heatshrink to fit over 2 sleeved wires but it will fit.

You probably know this but the MDPC-X heatshrink is the best for sleeving.