1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Which lens to keep?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Kronos, 26 Jan 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

been trying to flog this lot 350D here and elsewhere with little success not really surprising as it is pretty much entry level and did not come with a lens. So decided to buy a second hand lens did not matter what just as long as it fitted and could take a half decent photo.

So I bought a Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 11 from these folk MPD which arrived today.

Now I am in a quandary as fitting this lens to the 350D and the 1100d I cannot decide if this is a better all round lens to the 18-55mm?

The 28-80 takes a cracking image but being new to DSLR cameras so much is a mystery. I do need to add a lens to the 350D for selling purposes but which one?

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Hmm 64 views and no one has an opinion?

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

What 18-55 do you have? Canon have made a good number of 18-55 lenses. I should have thought that whatever 18-55 you have (unless it's very old) would be better quality than that 28-80 - yes it may have a smaller 'zoom' range but I think that's secondary to image quality.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have this looking back at the original for sale thread Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5 where I bought the camera/lens. Is that what you wanted to know.

I have been comparing images and there is less FOV in 28-80 which just puts it behind the 18-55,

I would love to keep them both but that is silly and defeats the object of buying the lens in the first place. Which, incidentally I bought from your link in my wanted thread. Next day delivery, very good service overall.

I think I am leaning towards the 18-55.

5. GeorgeK

I see now - I'd definitely keep the 18-55mm as it has image stabilisation which the 28-80mm doesn't. Also, having had a quick look at reviews, it should have much better image quality. Plus, as you've found, the 28mm may not 'zoom out' enough for you to get photos of large things (buildings etc) if you're quite close to them :thumb:

GK

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks George, I think keeping the 18-55 is the consensus. I posted the same question on a photography forum I remembered someone here advised me to join and so far the 18-55 is the advised keeper.

7. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

The 28-80 version IV is an absolutely brilliant lens. Pin sharp on my 300d. I totally loved it. It's known as a sleeper in the Canon community. A hidden gem if you like. I have heard a lot of horror stories about the 18-55mm that canon supplied with a lot of their earlier efforts. Build quality was a massive issue, and the variation between lenses was ridiculous. I'd keep the 28-80 if it was my choice to make. Over that focal length, the IS doesn't really come into play as much. It all depends on which you prefer in practice though. Will you miss the wide angle of the 18-55 more than you'll appreciate the longer length of the 28-80mm?

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cheers mate. I must say you have not made my decision any easier at all.

I think I will set up my tripod take a few snaps with both lenses and compare each other and decide which.

9. GeorgeK

They're different versions - you have the version II and he's talking about the version IV - there have actually been 7 versions of that lens. Same goes for the 18-55mm, there are some that are better than others - there have been 8 different versions of that...

10. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

if you're 18-55 does have IS I would keep that, but I like to have the wideness. so much so I think I'm going to pick up a wide angled lens, after seeing my dads over Christmas.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have decided on the 18-55 after comparing exact same shots via both lenses on both cameras. Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated.

12. GeorgeK

No problems chap - if you had a more up-to-date 28-80mm then I think they may have been closer in terms of image quality, but with the exact lenses that you have I think you have made the right choice :)