1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fallout 3 outsells all previous Fallout games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Figures Bethesda would make money off other Devs street credit.

3. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Perhaps, though this rather assumes that pc gamers weren't put off by the lacklustre porting as pointed out by most of the reviews I've seen thus far. I know I haven't rushed out to buy it since I'd rather wait till modders have had a chance to fix it (and I have a new graphics card more capable of running it and maybe the price has dropped ;) )

4. UrbanMarine

It should of just stayed a PC game at first and then ported to consoles.
    I guess they prefer to use the <<EASY BUTTON>>

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

WHo care's if it's been multi-platform released? I'm enjoying Fallout 3 so much on PC it's untrue. Joe and I come into the office in the morning and spend a good few mins gushing about all the awesome stuff we found in the wasteland last night.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Oh yes, I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of people who have rushed out to buy the game did it because of Fallout 1 and 2, not that it's by the makers of Oblivion.

Yup, that makes loads of sense to me.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Yeah it's OK but <elitist statement about PC gaming making me sound like a total *****>, NOW LOVE ME BECAUSE I AM COOL.

in truth, i haven't started playing it yet. waiting for a quiet time in the release schedule.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2008
  8. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I hope that this is clear message to EA, ubisoft, epic and others - it's quality that matters! Not DRM. Since it's using "old" securom copy protection - it was probably cracked at the same hour it was released...

...and I shall improve PC sales soon :)

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eeerm... Slight bootstrapping issue there, dear chap. Fallout 3 has sold more than all the other Fallout games combined. If Bethesda had simply "[made] money off other Devs street credit" then surely they would only have sold to existing Fallout fans - i.e. people who have already bought at least one of the existing games. In which case, they wouldn't have sold more than the original Fallout, much less than all the pre-existing games in the franchise combined.

10. UrbanMarine

Yup it wasn't the whole Fallout story, environment, features and theme that didn't pull people in either or that FPSs have high sales numbers.

@Gareth. Some people don't want to go buy the original game to get the full backstory and just buy the newest thing. They heard the originals were awesome so they figure the next in the series will be better. Hence street credit. Like Bauul said it could be because of Oblivion. Maybe it's because of the current age of the gamer? I bought it because of past Fallouts.

Maybe I'm too big of a fan of the originals and I hate it when companies going in the toilet sell out to the highest bidder. Being a huge fan of Fallout, I'd rather of seen Interplay keep the rights in the video game graveyard or sold them to Black Isle. But hey what do I know....I've only been gaming for 15yrs and have 100+ games in my collection.

11. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Yeah ditto, I love the first 2 and have played them through many a time and am pretty pleasantly surprised by this. Granted, the UI really is atrocious but I've gotta say, the Fallout vibe is definitely there, and its a really different style from the last 2 which is no bad thing. It doesn't beat F2 for pure genius gaming but it's definitely a great experience! The feeling of being in a post-nuclear wasteland and scrounging every last item to get by is unmatched, and I find myself pretty apprehensive sometimes as I'm cruising the ruins of DC watching every corner for super mutants :)

Considering the butchery that could have been perpetrated on a sequel like this (Invisible War anyone?) I think Bethesda have done a pretty good job of it really, and i'm enjoying some first-person Falloutage more than I thought I would (although I'd still love to see a proper, Van Buren-style sequel someday).

ps - I'm also of the opinion that if releasing this on the Xbox/PS3 makes x hundred thousand people know what Fallout is that is no bad thing at all. Hopefully after this they'll all shoot on over to GOG.com and buy the first 2 as well!

12. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

but i thought we were all [sarcasm]pirates[/sarcasm]

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

[​IMG]

14. UrbanMarine

lol...now I know why I spend most of my work day on these forums.:thumb: Plus I'm not saying I'm a gaming master. I'm just saying I've played through generations of gaming to see the changes.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

actual lol

16. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Not one, but i think it's the mix of them both. I for one will buy it because I am a huge fan of the past FOs. And there's a legion of ppl like myself for sure.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't sell because of the Beth's success on previous works.

Another thing to point is that we can't compare sales for games like they were ten years ago. There are much more players now, and it's not a thing to be ashamed of like it used to be 10~20 years ago. Now those boys are parents themselves and play with their kids, like myself.

Anyway, congrats on the sales Beth, but I still have to see if it deserves the name Fallout with my own eyes!

17. salesman

salesman Minimodder

made my day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_(computer_game) i don't know how to make it a sticky but there's the link of the game i would like to see Brian Fargo actually come through with. The predecessor to fallout. I thought i just bring that up in a fallout 3 thread.

18. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I know, it's so ****ing amazing I can't stop playing! :D

19. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

My brother has it on PS3. It seems awesome. Despite that I'm waiting for a new pc to fully enjoy playing it and don't want to waste the experience on playing with a crappy pc or in a crowded living room.

20. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Does the 17% for PC sales include those copies sold on Steam? That's where i bought my copy from.

Tags: Add Tags