1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia releases GTX 980M and GTX 970M notebook GPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 7 Oct 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Glad to see movement finally. In the market for a moderate machine only though, would like to know when there'll be news about the mid-range 950m/960m as I'm currently stuck in the no man's land of needing to pick up a laptop but being right at the very tip of changes.

Nice to see that mobile development is improving, performance is really starting to reduce the gap (although it's not 'reduced' of course) with relation to desktop cards compared to where it was just a few years ago. Ideally though being able to pop a mobile gpu in and out like you can with your gaming rig would be the be all for me.

Interested in the news they released alongside this though re their software for downscaling 3k & 4k resolution for 1080p whilst retaining some of the detail to give better quality images.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2014
  3. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

No news yet. Would be a smart move to get mid-range GTX 900 and GTX 900M series products out before Christmas but Nvidia may also want to shift stock of exisiting 600 and 700 series parts too.

I think what you're referring to is Dynamic Super Resolution? It's supported on these two mobile GPUs, and I think support will be extended to some older GPUs too. It's covered in more detail in our GTX 980 review :)

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

TBH I find it a job even finding laptops with 6xxm or 7xxm in them anymore that aren't priced the same as their 8xxm counterparts so hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later re the 950/960.

The low/mid range always seems a bit disappointing to me, either cheaper models with poopy resolution and with useless 820m/840ms or those shipping with GDDR3 850ms rather than the GDDR5 version and then a bigger price jump to 860ms. I'm hoping the 950m may finally give resonable moderate gaming in an affordable lappy (saying that the 850m isn't that bad for such purposes but the refresh/next release is soooo close it's painful :lol:).

As for the later, yup that's the fella. RL has prevented me from reading as much as I'd like (aside from me having a brief look the 970 review and mumbling oooooh, looks great value for money :)). Will have a goosey at the review and try and make this brain learn something, cheers. :D

5. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i hope these arnt as screwed up as the gtx 880m were in sli. i have the 880ms in my m18x r2 and it is the worst upgrade i did in a long time

6. ksyruz

ksyruz What's a Dremel?

If anything from the past shows when ever you SLI on laptops there is all ways an issue.

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Oct 2014
  7. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

8. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

Laptop gfx finally starting to be worthwhile

9. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

The GTX 980m in my Gigabyte P35 is quite the performer but sadly is not capable of maxing out BF4 at the native 2k of the screen. Handles it fine at 1080p though. Most other games are no problem, Dying light is beautiful maxed out at 2k, and it can almost manage Crysis 3 maxed at 2k.

Benchys available on request.

Tags: Add Tags