1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU i5-4670 (non-k) Overclocking?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DystopianDream, 3 Jun 2013.

1. DystopianDream

DystopianDream What's a Dremel?

Has anyone heard anything official about OCing non unlocked (non-k) Haswell? There was something in the 4770k article on here about certain features not being available depending on CPU but nothing concrete about which features on which CPUs. It sounds like if you can adjust the base clock then you can OC them the same way as non-k 2011 chips (3920-esque).

Can anyone confirm or deny if the base clock is adjustable on Z87 when you have a non-k CPU? This might make Haswell a little less disappointing on that front if you can set the base clock on a 4670 to 133 and get 4.522GHz

I say this because 4.5 seems to be roughly the sweet spot of OCing these days, with higher OCs requiring disproportionately more voltage (and therefore heat). For the average joe wanting max perf/£, this would seem like awesome, back to the "golden age of overclocking" ie not having to by a K series cpu and still getting 95% odd performance of a K/Extreme series

That is of course assuming that the non k binned chips are capable of such speeds, even so, could you reduce the multi on a "locked" cpu to get a more conservative OC? IDK, saying it to myself I can't believe intel would allow baseclock tweaking on non-K, it would make the K chips very niche.

Thoughts?

Edit: Here's the part of the article I am referring to

Last edited: 3 Jun 2013
  2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Base clocking is extremely limited these days.

You can't adjust the base clock much before system crashes.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Had a look at some at the weekend, and you seemed to be limited with the base clock since it was linked to the pci-e clock.

This means that you might be able to get a little out of it, but it will depend on your gpu etc.

4. DystopianDream

Not true, there are straps now which allow you to change the base clock for the cpu without screwing up SATA and PCIe freq. The dividers are 1.33, 1.5 etc. so you can make the CPU clock 133MHz, 150MHz etc and still keep the other stuff at 100. will put quote from the BT article in the OP

5. Stanley Tweedle

I guess I can't do that on my Z68 can I?

6. DystopianDream

AFAIK no this is new(ly re-introduced) on Z87

7. DystopianDream

Are you sure? on SB/IB yes but on Haswell?

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Didn't see those options, using the Giga OC board, ah well so it sounds like you can play with base clock overclocking, still nothing like the good old fsb clocking though :(

9. Stanley Tweedle

So I guess it would only bring performance gain for non K?

I just remember the old days when I'd overclock system bus to 200mhz.

10. DystopianDream

Agreed, especially as it used to be that unlocked extreme edition chips were silly expensive, but the difference between k and non-k chips is only ~£15 .... £177.41 vs £192.68 currently on ebuyer. Still though, interesting to get perf for free

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Baseclock strap overclocking is limited to K chips only.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Basestrap overclocking is only enabled when using a k series chip for the record, they will likely be some genius who gets it working on none k series chips but they are not there yet.

Intel has locked the basestrap on all none k series chips.

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Price-difference between i5-4670 and i5-4670k is only €20, so why not go for the k-version ?