1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete TOXIC CHROME (modded Corsair 250D)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ciobanulx, 8 Apr 2015.

1. ciobanulx

ciobanulx Modder / Watercooler

[​IMG]

Hi guys,

Welcome to a new build log for TOXIC CHROME where I will be modding and building a custom water cooled system in the Corsair 250D!

Huge thanks to MNPCTECH as they will be providing me with some modding supplies for the build, Icemodz who will be supplying the custom sleeved cables and RGB LED strips as well as Primochill who will be supplying a set of fittings. Also thanks to GGF Lan Party for providing the Corsair 250D case for me!

As the name suggests there will be chrome :D. The case will be painted a combination of chrome and blue, chrome for the outside panels and blue for the case frame. I will also be painting other components such as the radiators chrome too. I'm not exactly sure yet how I'm going to get the chrome paint done and if I will be able to do it myself with spray paint as that would be the only option if I was to paint it myself. I would sure love to do chrome plating but that would probably be way out of my reach to get the entire outside of the case done. I will be doing some research for the best and most efficient way to get the nice mirror chrome look that I'm after. Of course I'm open to suggestions so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I think the combination of chrome and blue will be really nice and the idea for the build is to see how friendly the Corsair 250D is to a custom watercooling loop and to fit as much water cooling components as I can in it and to just make it look radioactive with a glow from the inside. The mods to the case won't be that hard to do, mainly cutting new side panel windows and I will also be playing with MNPCTECH's nibbler tool and some aluminum sheets! The hard part will be getting all the components and custom loop in the way I imagine it. The 250D is smaller than the Bitfenix Prodigy I worked on with my Vault Boy build so this will be interesting.

You will see the same attention to detail as I have shown in my previous builds with Vault Boy and Green Molecule.

Here are the SPECS:

Case - Modded Corsair 250D
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5
    CPU - Intel Pentium Anniversary Edition G3258
    GPU - EVGA GTX 670
    Memory - 2 x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 1600Mhz
    SSD - 120GB Corsair Force GT
    PSU - Corsair RM650 80Plus Gold

Cables - Icemodz custom sleeved cables

Radiators - Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper ST30 240mm, Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper UT60 140mm
    Fans - 2 x 120mm Gelid Slim 12 UV Blue fans, 1 x 140mm Gelid Wing 14 UV Blue, 2 x 80mm Gelid Wing 8 UV Blue
    Pump - Swiftech MCP35X with EK-DDC Heatsink Housing and EK-DDC XRES 140 CSQ pump top and reservoir combo
    Reservoir - EK-RES X3 250 Reservoir
    Fittings - Primochill Rigid Ghost Black fittings, various Bitspower matte black extension and angle fittings
    Tubing - Primochill Rigid Clear PETG
    CPU Block - EK-Supremacy CSQ Polished Nickel Plexi
    GPU Block - EK-FC670 CSQ Polished Nickel Plexi
    RAM Block - EK-RAM Monarch X2 CSQ Polished Nickel Plexi
    Coolant - Mayhems X1 UV Clear Blue

Lighting - Icemodz Real UV LED Strips

But first :dremel:, lets get the case ready!

Here's a quick look at the case and the layout for some components. Ignore the gold paint job as that's what the guys over at GGF had it for a custom system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pump with the EK 140 res mounted next to the rad here

[​IMG]

Another EK 250 res mounted horizontally here, will get rid of the drive cages and cut out a nice window for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the 250 res will be right underneath the 240 radiator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the PC & Case Mod Store Supply items from Mnpctech

Mnpctech PC Case Mod Ruler & Reference Tool, http://mnpctech.com/pc-mod-tools/pc-mod-ruler/pc-modder-ruler-and-gauge.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PC Case Panel Modding Nibbler Tool from Mnpctech, http://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gaming-pc-liquid-modding-custom-computer-mnpctech-overclock-cooling-fan-grills/pc-case-nibbler-tool.html

[​IMG]

Nickel Plated Vandal PC Push Button Switch for Reset or Power, http://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gaming-pc-liquid-modding-custom-computer-mnpctech-overclock-cooling-fan-grills/switches-toggle-pc-computer-power-reset/vandal-resistant-pc-power-switch-en.html

[​IMG]

Mnpctech also offers anodized colored versions of this Vandal PC Push Button Switch

[​IMG]

3 pack of 3M Red Scotchbrite Scuff Pads, http://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gaming-pc-liquid-modding-custom-computer-mnpctech-overclock-cooling-fan-grills/3m-scotchbrite-pads-sanding-buff-scuff-scotch/3m-scotchbrite-pads-en.html

[​IMG]

5 pack of reinforced Dremel cutting wheels, http://mnpctech.com/pc-mod-tools/cutting-wheels.html

[​IMG]

That's it for now peeps. Hope you will enjoy this build log and mod :D.

Thanks for checking it out.

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited: 19 May 2015
  2. ciobanulx

Hey guys,

I have updated the first post with the modding supplies MNPCTECH will be providing for the build!

Make sure to follow MNPCTECH on Facebook and check out the Mod Store at mnpctech.com

Thanks a lot to Bill Owen for helping me out with the build, I've been inspired by him for years now and I'm truly grateful to be working with him!

I should have an update on the build soon for you guys!

Cheers,

Alex

3. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys,

Here's an update on Toxic Chrome!

Dismantled as much of the case as I could and starting to drill the mounts for everything. Gonna get all the drilling and cutting done on the case before I get it painted. I might just get the whole thing powder coated, frame and other bits blue and then the outside panels chrome. I found a place that does chrome powder coating and it's gonna be cheaper than actually buying the paint and spraying it myself so that's good. Hopefully the chrome comes out good, we will have to see about that!

So here's the naked frame of the case pretty much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG].

And just having a look how the 250 res is gonna sit and already there is a problem with the res holders. The res fits between the side of the case and the radiator without the holders but not with them unfortunately.

[​IMG]

So what I did is broke off one side of the res holders and gonna sit the res in like that, supporting it with the holders on one side and with the case panel on the other. Also once I get fittings between it and the 240 rad, it should stay in place quite nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it looks pretty good in there. Just need to get all the side and top windows cut now and mount the other res along with the pump.

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex

4. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I'll have to check the 250 case sometime, looks to have lots of potential!

5. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Seeing what you're doing with the 250D makes me start to wonder if I should really make my own scratch built itx case, or just mod a 250D like you're doing. Looking good so far :)

6. ciobanulx

Thanks guys! The 250D is an awesome little case, definitely lots of potential :D

7. mnpctech

Looking forward to next update :thumb:

8. ciobanulx

Cheers Bill, should have a new update pretty soon :D

9. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys,

Worked on getting the side panel window cut outs done for all the windows I will attach to the case, a total of three.

I will be bolting the clear acrylic this time and I will have it on the outside of the case. That is so I can keep the inward part where the grill on the side panel is. I have seen other people do it before and I think it looks interesting.

Here we go with the dremel and jigsaw!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking it out and I hope you like my window designs.

Cheers,

Alex

10. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Looks great :) How do you do so precise cutouts with a dremel? Is there any secret techniques to it, or just practise?

11. ciobanulx

Thanks man. Haha there's no secret really though I only make small cuts with the dremel just so I can get the jig saw blade through and then it's pretty easy to cut straight with that.

Though I'd say that the filing that comes last is probably the most important as with that you can straighten and clean everything up nicely (which I haven't done in those pics, that's just straight after the cutting).

12. mnpctech

Great to see Alex using 233+ Green tape, it's the best.

13. ciobanulx

Thanks Bill! Yup it sure is :D

14. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys,

New update for TOXIC CHROME!

Just a quick look at the pump and other res combo that will be going in the build and how it will be placed.

Swiftech MCP35X

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Changing to a multi option top so that I can run the loop back to the top of the res.

[​IMG]

These EK reservoirs looks awesome, first time using these!

[​IMG]

Great little combo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it will be pretty awesome with the two reservoirs in this little case!

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex

15. shindead

shindead What's a Dremel?

looking good so far!!! quite cute!

16. Mark011

Mark011 Minimodder

Love your idea of 2 res in a such small case, good job amico :)

17. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Just out of curiosity doesn't the 2nd reservoir stop too much of the flow unless you add a second top?

18. ciobanulx

Thanks mate :D

Thanks my friend! Should look pretty sweet :D

Should be all good. I have an MCP35X in the Green Molecule with two reservoirs much more radiator surface and more waterblocks than this and everything is all good :)

19. mnpctech

I really like the loop layout, perfect for that amount of space.

20. ciobanulx

Thanks a lot Bill! :D