1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Corsair H50 radiator thread size?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by huklbery, 10 Sep 2009.

1. huklbery

huklbery What's a Dremel?

Anyone ken the actual thread and pitch used on the Corsair H50 radiator fan mounts?

I don't want to partially strip the threads with the wrong screws, when I set it up in push pull fashion.

2. monkeytennis

monkeytennis What's a Dremel?

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yes but not enough to properly set up push-pull.

4. monkeytennis

Sorry mate. Just read it again and see that its not straight foward, depending on what fan your fitting. I have just bought one but not mounted it yet. I think I may be lucky and be able to mount it to one of my rear fans with the supplied screws. Hope so! The fan that comes with it I have used elsewhere. Good luck!

5. huklbery

Yes, to mount the fan to the radiator through the case in an intake fashion. Both sides of the radiator have tabs with threaded holes to mount a 120mm fan on either side. I checked on my lunch period at the local big box hardware store. Thankfully they still had the threaded test strip and it appears to be 1 1/4" long #6 32tpi screws. The 4mm metric test hole was decided oversize so I should be good to go.

6. monkeytennis

Cool. Let me know how you get on as I may need to get the same screws.:D

7. huklbery

#6 32tpi screws

The #6 32tpi screws worked out just fine, the original screws are 1 1/4" long

8. huklbery

Corsair H50 Push/Pull issues

I wanted to mention I had an issue trying to use dual fans in push pull. Antec 300 case, gigabyte 775 mb and a feeble 65watt e5200 :worried:. Anyway using standard thickness 120mm fans, the pump/cpu unit was to close/tall to the back and would not let it clear with fan/radiator/fan configuration.

I ended up using a thermaltake fan I had in an exhaust fashion (push). After overclocking to 3.6 its idle seems around 26c and prime brings it up to 42c stable in 80F - 90F room. I have both front 120mm and single side 120mm fans running as well roof exhaust (single 140mm). The northbridge heatsink gets toasty but not finger burning and the single Gt 250 card exhausts out the back so I don't anticipate any heat related issues.

The next one I assemble will be a i7 920 in an Antec 902, The motherboard on order, an ASRock Extream so I should get a better idea what the H50 can do with a higher wattage demand. Unless your case is exceptionally deep I suspect many cases/mb configurations will limit using a sandwich configuration.

9. monkeytennis

I was going to mount mine to the upper exhaust fan of two at the rear of an Antec 1200. I think the upper fans height would be better as there is also the 200mm exhaust fan above it, wheras the lower one is nearer the GPU. Maybe it will make no difference. I hadn't considered mounting an intake fan the other side and I think I would have the same clearance issues as you anyway.

What temp readings did you get before? Much difference?

10. huklbery

Temp reading

It was a semi standard build I have been doing for work (8 so far in antec 300/200 cases) some I have used the stock heatsink and I have used a V8 and 212 Coolermaster as well in a couple I overclocked.

In general though I can ramp up the heat on the stock HS past 70c with no overclock using prime, the giant tower heatsinks I can safely OC and stay under 60c. The H50 with overclock however has topped out at 40c. The simple dual core 65w e5200 isn't taxing it at all.

The next one I assemble will be a i7 920 and that will likely use the real capacity. It will be in a 902 case, I have the 920 I put together last year to compare it to, its in a p182 case with a noctua with dual fans.