1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips Making video from a series of stills

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Cthippo, 21 May 2016.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I decided to try something new yesterday and set my GoPro to take a still image every 2 seconds while I drove across the mountains. The end result was about 2200 images which I want to form into a sort of video. The specific question I have is whether there is a best length for each still to be on screen, or if it's just whatever works. More generally, does anyone have any tips for doing this sort of thing?

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Not that I have any idea how to do this but you might want to work backwards from how long you actually want the 'video' to be. If each was on the screen for 1 second then the video would be nearly 37 minutes long. 0.1 seconds would give a video just over 3½ minutes long.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Effectively you're just talking about a slideshow with each image on screen for a very short amount of time. Even Windows Movie Maker should be able to do that (although I don't know how it'll cope with that many images)

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

24 frames per second.

You might be able to down to 15 fps but it depends on the images, interval etc.

As for tips, try this:
    http://www.learntimelapse.com/

5. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

I've found GoPro studio pretty good at producing a video from the stills. You can set the framerate and either crop/scale down to a useful aspect ratio.

File formats are a bit odd (CineForm, some odd variants on .avi and .mov) but you can then use the edit/export functions to produce an .mp4 file for use in your favourite editing software

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

After about 24 hours of my computer grinding on this (my poor abused laptop), I finally got it put together and, nah. I think the problem I was having is that the 2 second interval between shots is too long for a smooth final product. If I was going to do it again I would set the interval to one second or even half a second. It probably depends on what you are shooting. If it's a s4 hour time lapse with a stationary camera then two seconds would probably be fine, but for driving up a windy road, shorter is better.

7. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

Are we not just talking about a timelapse video here?

8. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Use GoPro Studio. Works a treat. Alternatively, Premier Pro can import the photographs. You can download and install the Trial software if needed.

HTH