1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other And Ebay buyer oddity.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 22 May 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

On the 20 May (Wednesday) I sold a PVR (Best Offer) on Ebay with the buyer seemingly just a couple or so miles away. She is also a Dr or at least she uses the title. She paid for the item very promptly less delivery obviously and messaged me what time would be OK for her to collect.

I replied on that occasion and in subsequent emails and Ebay messages that anytime during the day is fine. Sent her my address and a Google map location and nothing. No collection no message either email or via Ebay.

I am thinking scam but am at a loss as to what sort or scam might be involved.

I am also minded to give it another couple of days then refund her money paid via Paypal.

What thoughts have you?

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Well if she is a doctor she could just be really busy, maybe working nights or something. I would just message her a few more times and see what happens.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Having Dr does not mean that she is a medical doctor though. And sending a message takes no time.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I always give the benefit of the doubt, and besides you have not done anything wrong! It's up to her now as the ball is in her court. If for some reason she raises some sort of complaint against you then use the messages you sent as evidence that you have made every effort to contact her.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

She's probably just busy, I don't see it as a scam in any case.

Gumtree is the worst for it, people either not turning up, or not replying when you're trying to buy from them.

People, eh?

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sorry but busy or not it is no excuse for a quick message. We have so many means now of communication yet we actually seem to do less of it. Most of the time it is just plain rudeness.

7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

It can be tough though - I'll often remember that I haven't sent a message or something like that while I'm dashing from one task to the next, intend to do it later, and then inevitably not remember until I'm trying to fall asleep or some such.

I personally find life to be an increasingly chaotic place!

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am just waiting for someone to post a thread with the word stress in it. As that is another excuse so often used for not doing or forgetting to do something.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Hey, you wanted to hear our thoughts. They are thus: if she is a medical doctor, she may have been called in to cover an A&E shift or something. Most hospitals are notorious for having a poor mobile signal --at one of the hospitals I work, I cannot get a signal 50% of the time, and I'm hideously busy anyway.

So yes, it is entirely possible that she has completely forgotten about this because she is running around work doing unexpected 12 hour shifts and juggling that with home life. Or her granny got hit by a bus. Or her child has just come down with meningitis. Or her water tank in the loft burst. You know better than most people how your life can just instantly, terribly derail into chaos and suddenly all bets are off.

Not happy? Just refund her, cancel the deal and try again.

10. jinq-sea

Is your intention to be a troll here?

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

So what you are saying is in the instant she made the payment and my almost instantaneous response to the contained question of when was the best time to collect her world has suddenly turned upside down? Hmm.

Oh and other thing I cannot find this doctor listed anywhere and I know where to look as I have run checks on so many in the medical profession of the past few years.

12. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Sorry, don't see a problem here.
    a) you have her money
    b) you have the item
    c) you have tried to contact her (lots)

If she was making arrangements to collect, and then not turning up; I could understand being annoyed. And if you urgently need shot of the item, do as Nexxo suggests, refund and relist.

Actually, she "bought" the item on Wednesday?! its been two days! at least give here 'til after the weekend before getting antsy.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

In what way? All to often stress is used as an excuse these days for all sorts of poor behavior. And I for one have never understood why people in the 21st century should feel any more 'stressed' than any other generation.

14. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

You're the one that brought up the word stress and now you're getting stressy about it! As has been said above - it's been 2 days... I imagine that you'll hear from her soon...

15. jinq-sea

Work nine months in my previous job and I'm willing to wager your view will differ on that point.

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I posted this as a possible scam and I think I might have come up with one that sort of fits though not completely as she has not picked up the item. But collect the item then claim back from Paypal as she thinks I will have no proof of her collection. Though I do tend to get a receipt and a copy of photographic identification. But as she has not picked up the item that scenario does not really work.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Don't understand that statement at all as you have no idea what my work situations have been like.

18. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

If it is then it's the worst scam in history - giving you the money and letting you keep the item... Normally a scam would work the other way round...

19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Or maybe she's not overly busy at all, and is just a bit more laid back about these things than you are.

It's not unreasonable that she has it on her to-do list, but for various reasons has decided to get to it at the weekend.

You have the money, you have the item, if she's not in a hurry to collect then what's the issue?

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Now *that* sounds like a scam: list item on eBay collection-only, get the buyer to come all the way to pick it up, then insist on making a copy of their photo ID "for proof of collection" on your handy-dandy scanner. Identity theft, anyone?

There's no way in hell that I'd allow some randomer from eBay to touch any form of my ID, much less copy the flamin' thing. They can keep the item and refund my cash, thank you very much. Did you tell her about your collection policy? Perhaps that's why she hasn't been in touch - she's busily asking people on another forum about a potential scam in a thread entitled "An[d] Ebay seller oddity!"

hyperion likes this.