1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Western Digital warns of OS X Mavericks data loss

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Nov 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

Lacie drive for new MBP it is then.

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

It's not an issue with Mavericks or WD drives, it's just the WD software which is causing the problems. I'd say it was a given that the issue lies with WD's software development team. They'll have been using an API incorrectly, or made incorrect assumptions or simply made a basic schoolboy error.

As WD say the problem is with their software and not Mavericks they are not advising "Don't upgrade to OS X Mavericks" as this article claims but saying. (This article has an air of "Link Bait" about it)

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, that's exactly what it says in the article.
    No, it doesn't; it has an air of wanting to prevent people who have a Mac and a WD external hard drive losing all their data. A link-bait headline would have been "OS X MAVERICKS BUG WIPES EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES," not "Western Digital warns of OS X Mavericks data loss." Who exactly am I supposed to be baiting with that headline, other than the people who absolutely need to see the warning: WD hard drive owners running (or looking to run) OS X Mavericks?

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Operating systems have gone the same way as games, release it quick, let Jo public beta test it, then fix your customers problems.

Just like its not worth buying most games for a year or two until its been patched and is on sale, now its risky to update to the latest operating system until some brave souls have beta tested it and the bugs have been squashed.

6. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

This isn't new for Apple. Hell, given some of the paid beta tests they've run in the past, this one's almost final release quality.
    Am I the only person that remembers the initial release of MacOS X, back when we called it by version number instead of what big cat/horse it was named after? And it didn't support such niche features as DVD playback and CD-R burning? Because that **** was HILARIOUS.

Apple has a REPUTATION for quality, but it's earned largely through marketing as opposed to releasing quality products.

7. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Hmmm your definition of Link Baiting and mine are clearly different.

You say "Western Digital warns of OS X Mavericks data loss" which I say is a bit linkbaity (Ooo look I made up a word).

It's not an issue with Mavericks or even WD drives. It's an issue with WD Software when running on Mavericks. It's nothing to do with the drives and nobody is claiming it's anything to do with Mavericks.

Don't you think that "Warns of OS X Mavericks data loss" could me misconstrued to mean it's a warning about Mavericks having data loss issues? When closer to the truth is WD have a serious issue with their software when running under Apple's latest OS.

And in the article you claimed that WD are advising "don't upgrade to OS X Mavericks just yet" and this just isn't the full picture is it? Where did WD claim this?

The article is part fact and part opinion piece. I feel it's been written as a "There are issues with Mavericks" piece rather than a "WD messed up big and didn't QA their software under Apple's new OS" piece.

The source TUAW article is a purely factual piece, where this one is flavoured with phrases such as "more serious problem on the horizon" when talking about Mavericks before going on to explain the issue isn't with Mavericks but with WDs software.

Just a differently flavoured take on the same news I guess. You read (wrote) it one way, I read it another.

And like your article is your opinion, so is my comment here. Please don't kick me off bit-tech for providing my opinion even if you disagree with it... I've been there and done that and it was crap.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That would be right here...
    http://community.wd.com/t5/News-Announcements/External-Drives-for-Mac-Experiencing-Data-Loss-with-Maverick-OS/td-p/613777
    EDIT: And the same thing said in the email sent to customers linked on the TUAW article of "or delay upgrading."

9. Gareth Halfacree

No, I don't, or I wouldn't have written it. You're also the only person who has chosen to interpret the headline in that way. I have a limited number of characters to spare for a headline; as much as "Western Digital warns that users with one or more of the three software tools provided for managing selected models of its external storage devices who are upgrading, or have recently upgraded, Apple hardware to OS X Mavericks may lose data" would have been clearer, it's also not a headline - it's a paragraph. Remember: the data loss only occurs when you upgrade to Mavericks. If you don't upgrade to Mavericks, you don't lose your data. Wouldn't you say that's a rather important fact to include in the headline?
    In their email to customers, which is quoted in the linked TUAW piece. Which I'm sure you read before going on the warpath again, just as you (incorrectly) did in the badBIOS thread and (incorrectly) did in the Apple thread. Didn't you? Here, let me refresh your memory:
    And you're saying data loss isn't a more serious problem than Mail.app glitches? Or, perhaps, that the problem doesn't occur only if a user upgrades to OS X Mavericks with the previously working-absolutely-fine WD software installed?
    I'm pretty certain I don't have the power to ban anyone. I'm not a moderator, I just have a few extra permissions so I can do things like create threads in this sub-forum. That said, don't be surprised if you post rubbish and get called on it. Again.

Now, while I would be the first to say you are entitled to your opinion: fancy apologising for the "where does WD say that" blooper you've made? How about responding to my detailed tear-down of your aggressive post in the Apple thread? Are you here to communicate, or merely to denigrate based on what is either poor comprehension or simple laziness?

I await your response eagerly.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2013
  10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Go Gareth!

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The rest of the debate notwithstanding, I'd just like to say that I interpreted the headline as Guinevere suggested. It wasn't until after I read the article that I realized the problem was related to external drives, and that I had nothing to worry about since I don't use their software to manage my external drives.

The information within the article is true, so I do appreciate it nonetheless.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

To be fair, link-baiting would read "You won't believe why WD gives OSX cancer!", with follow up "10 essential ways to cure OSX cancer".

13. Gareth Halfacree

Fair enough - and thank you for not using that misinterpretation to attack me for no good reason. Unlike some people, eh Guinevere? How's that apology coming along? How about the response in the Apple thread? I'm still waiting, y'know. It's not like you haven't been on this forum since I spent my time to correct you yet again.
    Or "USELESS Apple update DELETES USER DATA, company REFUSES TO FIX," followed by "Did Miley Cyrus Predict Apple's Failings In New Album?" Now that, Guinevere, would be link-bait.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Watch Miley Cyrus Twerk... to record Apple earnings.

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

That's pretty ineffective link bait, actually. I'm not clicking unless you promise nip-slips.