1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Painting help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DK63, 30 Mar 2012.

1. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

I'm planning on having a case powder coated, but would also like some art work on the 2 sides. Would air brushing look ok on powder coating? If it would, is there anything I need to consider first?
    Thanks.

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I expect it would look ok but am not sure how durable it would be or what prep would be best. I know I tried a while ago to paint onto powder coat and it jut flaked off in time :(

3. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I would think proper prep of the surface would be key. For the area to be painted, possibly ruffing up the surface and an adhesion product depending upon the type of paint used would be necessarily. If you're spraying or brushing onto a shiny or even flat/smooth surface, there's nothing for the paint to cling to.

4. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

you would deffinately need a coat of matt or gloss varnish over the top of the finished panels to hold it all together, going by what dynamis said about it flaking off.

5. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

My moster2 case is powdercoated.

The artist said airbrushing over the powder coat is infact better than if it was wet sprayed to start.

Not my field of expertise as such, i just paid the artist, he did the work and no problems atal.

Infact im very very happy with it.

I think he used fine keying first, but to answer the question, the answer is yes.

What the exact procedure is, i dont know, but i can ask artist if you really get stuck.

6. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

I'm not going to be doing any work on painting the case, so I'll be needing an artist anyway. As a matter of interest, what did you have done and what was the cost please?

7. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

It was my zombie themed case, ive lost photobucket images for some reason, it is on bittech modmonth somewhere though.

Ok, sit down, put down any sharp objects.

The price i paid for full cover to cover high detailed artwork wqsa £1600 inc vat.

However typically you can pay upto £5,000 isnt unusual.

However on the plus side, its also possible to get single sides or decal style for £200-£300.

Will dig out some pics later, but theres plenty people on here that have seen the artwork.

Pics of powdered then artwork

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/mod-of-the-month/2010/11/12/mod-of-the-month-october2010/4