1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Next-gen Google Glass to get Intel inside

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Dec 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I would place my bets on Braswell being the processor family of choice.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Google Glass will struggle to avoid been banned in most public places.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

On what grounds? Fun fact: in the UK, it is perfectly legal to take photos or video of anything you want in a public place as there is 'no reasonable expectation of privacy.' Yes, this includes taking photos of things like police officers; despite what some might insist, there's nothing they can do to stop you (although they can antagonise you then arrest you for 'breach of the peace,' which is often police-speak for 'looking at me funny.' You can, however, be done under the Counter-Terrorism Act 2008 for 'publishing or communicating' such a photo, unless it's of a plastic (PCSO) 'cos they ain't real coppers, innit.)

'Course, you don't have to take my word for it: here's the Metropolitan Police guidance on the matter.
    Other countries have other laws (France, in particular, has some weird icky-sticky laws about photography in public) but over 'ere it's perfectly A-OK. Now, as has happened in the US, it's possible to be banned from taking photos or videos in a private place for any reason whatsoever - hence people being banned from wearing Google Glass into a cinema where they could record the film. S'no different to how you'd be treated if you tried to take a video camera into the cinema (likewise, while you're allowed to take your 'phone in you'll be ejected if you're seen to be using it to film the screen.) Shopping centres, too, often either ban photography outright or require permission to be sought first.

TL;DR: Don't be daft, rollo, nobody's going to ban Google Glass (or any other recording device) in public in the UK.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Well, it isn't.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I wonder how much intel paid google to stuff their products into the next best thing ;)

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well it's a good thing that we don't make laws based on opinion :).